Fondant To Sweet. What Can I Do?

Decorating By bakinglover Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 8:00pm by sadsmile

bakinglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinglover Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 7

I made MFF this weekend and feel like it is to sweet. Is MMF just as sweet or is there something I can do to make MFF not as sweet. I do really like the taste of Satin Ice. Thanks for all your help. I have found so much wonderful info on this site.

6 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 7

I don't make the MMF.. I make another kind but I could see how the MMF would be sweet because of the marshmallows. Did you add any other flavorings to it such as vanilla or almond?? I would think that would help cut down the sweetness.

bakinglover Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 7

I made Michele's fondant and did add vanilla to it.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 7

I add salt to everything. Just disolve a 1/4 tsp (per one recipe) in the water and flavorings you are going to use. And do use flavorings! Let the experimentation begin!!!
You could disolve that salt in a few drops of water by heating it up and work that into your fondant if you want to try to save the batch you already made. Only a few drops of water though less then 1tsp. And when adding flavorings I subtract that amount from the water the recipe calls for so there is not too much moisture.
You can also roll out with corn starch instead of powdered sugar and that will take down the sweet level a touch at the end.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 7

It is confusing at first...mmf vs mff...and sometimes, we accidently type it one way when we mean the other. When I first read the thread(before giving my grandson his bath) I thought it was mmf. When I came back, you had written it again mff so I wernt back and reread the initial thread....and sometimes we read it the wrong way too, eh?

bakinglover Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

I add salt to everything. Just disolve a 1/4 tsp (per one recipe) in the water and flavorings you are going to use. And do use flavorings! Let the experimentation begin!!!
You could disolve that salt in a few drops of water by heating it up and work that into your fondant if you want to try to save the batch you already made. Only a few drops of water though less then 1tsp. And when adding flavorings I subtract that amount from the water the recipe calls for so there is not too much moisture.
You can also roll out with corn starch instead of powdered sugar and that will take down the sweet level a touch at the end.

Thank you. What flavorings can I use other than vanilla and almond? I want to try it with adding chocolote to the mixture. Does this give it a strong chocoloate taste? Just trying to make sure it will go with a white cake with pineapple filling that I am planning for this weekend. Also, what type of white chocolate? Chips? Thanks!!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 7

LOL I read it as MMF too... but the same applies to MFF. I add vanilla(clear for white fondant),, no color butter, bakery sweet, almond, cream boquet -whatever you like. I always add vanilla as a base and add one or two of the other flavors also when mixing flavors. I have read in several posts where 6 oz of white chocolate melts were added to MFF and they raved about how great it was. Just buy the actual melts for candy/cake making as the chips on the baking aisle have more wax to prevent them from melting and loosing their shap. The actual melts taste and work better. So go have fun and play with your flavors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%