Rosary Beads?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 5 May 2009 , 3:01pm by beachcakes

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 11

Has anyone made fondant rosary beads? I'm guessing fondant pearls and a needle & thread? How would you keep the pearls in place w/o sliding when they are dry? Any help would be much appreciated! I know there is a mold but I can't afford it right now!

Edited to add: I'd like them to look dainty...

10 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 11

HOw do you want them displayed on the cake? I only ask because if they are laying flat on the cake I would just use sugar pearls side by side... Same effect but no messing with rolling little balls, or trying to use a needle and thread.

beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 11

Sorry - should've explained that! icon_smile.gif The plan is to drape them over a bible that will be on top of the cake.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 11

i saw something on food network recently where a thread was laid into a bead mold and melted sugar poured into the each bead mold. it was a necklace once it was pulled out. At the time I thought it was a brilliant concept.

a regular bead mold will give you a "joined" set that you'll be able to drape without the needle and thread issue. just make what you need and assemble on the cak.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 11

I saw that too! Marina Sousa did that and those beads were beautiful!

If you can't afford the mold, just use a needle and thread, and tie a knot between each bead.

Thread through bead, tie knot, thread through next bead, tie knot, thread through next bead, tie knot.

Please do model the rosary after an actual rosary, since apparently the cake recipients are Catholic. Are you doing a Confirmation cake?

beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for the tips. I do have a bead mold, but they are a little bit too large. I wanted to be able to make it look like a rosary rather than a pearl necklace, but perhaps if I cut off sections of 10 and strung those? They might be too close together. Hmmm, the wheels are turning... icon_smile.gif

jmt1714 I'll have to catch that foodnetwork show; i'd love to see what she did.

Thanks Cakepro for the knot idea - great idea! I would have never thought of that! Yes, they are Catholic. This is for a First Communion cake for May so I have a little time to play with it.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 11

What I have done is make the fondant beads individually; let them dry for just a short while, but while they are still a bit soft, I put a sewing needle through each of the beads and then let them dry completely. Once they have dried, I use flossing thread and bead them that way. It is a little time consuming, but it works.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 11

If it were me, I'd still place them individually right onto the cake, just in a draped fashion

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:07am
post #9 of 11

I have a communion cake in my pics...I made the rosary beads, let them dry for about 2 days then threaded them with a needle and clear thread. When I knotted it off the beads stayed in place and I was recently told that the kids still have those rosaries 1 1/2 years later.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 2:16am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijom

I have a communion cake in my pics...I made the rosary beads, let them dry for about 2 days then threaded them with a needle and clear thread. When I knotted it off the beads stayed in place and I was recently told that the kids still have those rosaries 1 1/2 years later.

Yes! That sounds perfect! I bet they would love to be able to keep them!

beachcakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:01pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for all your help! - here's the finished cake:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1361404

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%