Boxes And Bows Question...

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm by sugarshack

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 5

I got my wonderful DVD the other day and am planning on using it next week. I am making a stacked cake, though, and am wondering (stupid question?) if you dowel the bottom tier before or after you put on the gumpaste top. I am worried that either way the gumpaste box top will crack...

Thanks for your help!!!!

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 5

I would think that you would dowel the bottom cake before you put the lid on. But that's just me, logically thinking about it. And cakes don't always cooperate.

Maybe you should PM SugarShack, if she doesn't find this thread. =o)

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 5

which lid do you mean? the blue one? if so, that is fondant with tylose, not gumpaste (the gumpaste one is the black lid that props on the side)

and here is how i stack the blue ones:

ice the cake and then apply your 5 panel lid. insert your dowels thru the lid BUT cut a hole with an exacto knife where the dowels will be pushed in. Do not just try to push them thru the lid. ( I use bubble straws so they would not go thru anyway). then stack your next cake. The drive your sharpened wooden center dowel down thru both cakes. then apply the lid on the top tier.

HTH and if not, ask away.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you Sharon! That makes sense. I saw your pretty cakes on your blog the other day, and wanted to make the stacked version.

Thank you again!

Summer

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 5

Very welcome!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%