Hope Someone Can Help Me!!

Decorating By Gkfurrow Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 12:42am by Gkfurrow

Gkfurrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gkfurrow Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone!! I have enjoyed reading all the posts and have learned a lot. I do, however, have a problem!!

I live in Colorado (high altitude) and I am having problems getting my cakes to turn out the way I want them. I have made cakes from scratch, "doctored" regular cake mixes (all brands), and they just don't turn out. I'm not all that crazy about "plain" cakes made from just a cake mix. I would like for mine to be moist, yet hold together when I decorate it. (Can you tell I'm really new to all of this?) icon_smile.gif

I sure hope that someone out there is familiar with high altitude baking, and can help me. (I have even Googled "high altitude baking", and really didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Glenda

5 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 6

I think Kakeladi knows a thing or two about high altitude baking... maybe PM her? If you don't get results, try renaming your posts along the lines of your subject. A lot of people won't click on it if they don't know what it's about... Try- "Help with high altitude cakes" or something along those lines...

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 6

Hi! Do you have the book Pie IN the Sky by Susan Purdy? It's specifically for baking at high altitudes. Other than that, I'm sorry i don't have anything to share. I've lived at or below sea level all my life! Good luck.

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 6

I wish I could help I lived in Colorado Springs for 5 years but at the time I was just catering. But I will watch this because I am heading back to Colorado just as soon as we can move back. I totally forgot I will have to relearn how to bake!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 6

I went to froogle.com and typed in "high altitude baking book" and came up with lots of results.

http://www.google.com/products?q=high+altitude+baking+book

HTH
Rae

Gkfurrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gkfurrow Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:42am
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much everyone. I appreciate your taking the time to answer my post.

I think my best bet is to get Susan Purdy's book, "Pie in the Sky". That will be a good place to start.

How funny - I live in Colorado Springs!! icon_smile.gif

Glenda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%