Best Way To Make Good Tasting Black Buttercream

Decorating By atschnet Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 7:53pm by kakeladi

atschnet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atschnet Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 4

I'm fixing to to make a guitar hero cake and cover it in black buttercream. I've made black buttercream before but added cocca to it and didn't like the taste.

I have Americolor Super Black, is just adding alot of that the best way to go???? Or is there a different trick???????

Thanks So much

3 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 4

Start with dark brown then add the black and you wont have to add as much. You will have to let it sit for several hours to intensify. The more color you add the more bitter tasting the icing will be. The best coloring I have found is chefmaster liqua gel. It takes very little to get a true black, no after taste and you get black imediately.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 4

I use chefmaster and it doesnt get bitter. But the best thing I do is do the crumbcoat in white and then the second coat in the color. Saves time and color.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 4

The best way is to save all your little tidbits of icing - any & all colors - keep in the fzr until you need black. Now mix them all up into an ugly mess (LOL) and add black gel color. Starting w/a rather dark color to begin will keep one from having to use as much color to achieve a dark hue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%