Airbrush Comparison

Decorating By cakesarecool Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 8:55pm by littlecake

cakesarecool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesarecool Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 17

Hello, I've been reading the forums here and other resources on the web regarding airbrushes for a couple weeks now . I'm purchasing this as a birthday present for my sweetheart, and as I'm not artistic at all or involved in decorating, I'm really out of my element.

I was sold on purchasing the Aztek 4709, and getting a separate compressor ($70 flavor from harbor freight), but I've not heard much about how loud that compressor is AND, this setup is a bit out of my budget...especially since we would still need to go out and buy paints adaptors, etc. =]

I have found a less expensive option that I'm leaning towards, some have expressed that they like the GD100 pen, and this kit comes with a compressor that is fairly quiet:
http://www.airbrushcity.com/ss0406.htm

For $135 shipped, it seems hard to beat. Will it last?

Can someone(s) help me determine what I'd be missing out on NOT buying an Aztek. Keep in mind, this is for a beginner air-brusher (as in, never done it before), and one that will not be used constantly.

P.S. I have read the "airbrush" thread 4 or 5 times already.

Thanks!

16 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 17

If you've read the airbrush thread 4 or 5 times there isn't much I can add except I don't care for the pens with the bottom feed or the jars. The jars are heavy and hard to control. I can tell you what I like about the aztek 4709. It has several different nozels to spray from fine to broad, the cup can be placed on the left or the right, you can get more cups to make changing colors a breeze, and there is no needle to bend or replace which makes cleaning a breeze. I've only compared it to the kopykake airbrush and there was a world of difference in the finished product.

What you're looking at is probably fine for a beginner the pen itself can always be replaced (upgraded) at a later date if she decides she wants something better. No matter what you get you're going to have to buy the food colors. I'm not sure what adapters you're referring to.

cakesarecool Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 17

Is cleaning the airbrush a big ordeal? Perhaps if you use it day in and day out?

RandomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RandomCakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 17

Are you buying this for cake decorating or for regular paint. My husband does airbrushing (paint), started 2 years ago, and now is going to open his own shop at the beginning of May. He had to start on a very limited budget, but he eats, breathes, and lives this stuff, and could probably help you out (show you where to go for the best deals, ect..) , if you are looking for paint (or cake) , with the best airbrush setup for your money.

His website is www.element21.net if you want to see his work, and his email is [email protected]

Hope this helps!

cakesarecool Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 17

Can anyone denote the difference b/t the GD100 and the GD200?

I'm also looking at this offering:
http://www.galaxyairbrush.com/combo_kits/cd109.htm

cakesarecool Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomCakes

Are you buying this for cake decorating or for regular paint. My husband does airbrushing (paint), started 2 years ago, and now is going to open his own shop at the beginning of May. He had to start on a very limited budget, but he eats, breathes, and lives this stuff, and could probably help you out (show you where to go for the best deals, ect..) , if you are looking for paint (or cake) , with the best airbrush setup for your money.

His website is www.element21.net if you want to see his work, and his email is [email protected]

Hope this helps!

I am purchasing this for my wife; she is starting to do cakes here and there, she loves it and wants to start a business someday. I wanted to get her something that she could not only learn to airbrush with, but that would also last for a while.

We're on a pretty small budget, so cheap is good, but I also don't want to purchase something that will fall apart in a year or two.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. Your husband's work is AMAZING!

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:

Hope this helps!

Your husband does beautiful work!- but I'd bet he sure doesn't use an aztek!!! Seeing his work brings me back to the good ole days- I started out the same way- doing T-shirts and graphics. But during the 90's airbrushing kinda faded out- But I am glad to see that it seems to be coming back in! I miss it so much...I want to breath Createx in again! icon_smile.gif)))

For the other posts- there is no need to get what you think is a beginner brush it is just as cheap to get the best out there!!... If you learn with an inferior brush, then you are limited and will probably get frustrated and not airbrush..I have heard alot of ppl hate their brush until they get a "real" one..

The Aztek is top of the line- for a plastic brush... it was originally marketed in the 80s as a replacement for traditional airbrushes. It never quite lived up to that- because regular airbrush artists learned to control a regular brush and aztek does not allow you total control- the nozzles do that for you.

Any double action like the Paasche VL,Millenium,or Talon are top of the line and less than$90.
The Badger double actions are also a good solid brush
Iwatas are not really suited to anyone that wants to use pearl dust. But if you just do color, they are sweet.

Try chicagoairbrushsupply to get a good price.

The KK is a single action- so it has it's limits- but if you really aren't into painting fine detail'd pics on cakes then it works great. Pearl wears out it's cone quick tho...

On most of the complete KITS that you see on line- the price is mostly for the compressor- not the airbrush! Quality- Quiet compressors cost alot... period. If you find a cheap compressor it probably sounds like a lawn mower when on.

One of the best compressors out there is the KK airmaster compressor.- it is quiet and reliable. You can also get an Iwata smart jet- it is cheap and quiet- but it works best if you are using a gravity feed(cup on top) airbrush. The cheapest way to go is a tank compressor that you get from Walmart. Cheap= LOUD so you can't have it in a storefront...but if you put it in your garage and run a long hose- it works the best! If you already have a garage compressor (or your husband does) try your airbrush with it first before you buy a new compressor. That way you will learn what psi you will need to maintain and will know better what kind of compressor you like most!

icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:27am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesarecool

Is cleaning the airbrush a big ordeal? Perhaps if you use it day in and day out?

It's not a bg ordeal but it has to be cleaded every time you use it and every time you change colors. On most pens the needle needs to be removed and cleaned.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:35am
post #9 of 17

I have 2 airbrush and I just start doing and decorating cakes, I got this one http://cgi.ebay.com/New-DUAL-ACTION-AIRBRUSH-w-AIR-BRUSH-COMPRESSOR-KIT-SET_W0QQitemZ190297436729QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item190297436729&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1309|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50 just for the compresor because it is cheap and it comes with an airbrush thumbs_up.gif , I have the aztek and belive it or not I like this better, icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I never use an airbrush before and this is easy to use it the compresor super quiet and I looooove it and I love the price too icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif , when you just start doing something simple and cheap things are better than complicated an expensive (IMHO) I just do this for hobby and this work really good for me.
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:04pm
post #10 of 17

Just an FYI - when using the airbrush, if you are running a lot of the pearl, silver, or gold (the sparkly colors!) make sure you clean it really good when you are finished.

I took a class, and they even recommended that every 3rd filling of the resovouir to clean it out while using it. I have followed that advice, and have never experienced any clogging.(again, that is if you are spraying one of the "metallic" colors)

I have a double action badger, and it took some getting used to.

cakesarecool Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 17

So, if I'm to understand correctly, "Double-Action" means you have to simultaneously press 2 different triggers, one allowing air flow, and another allowing paint?

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:56pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:

So, if I'm to understand correctly, "Double-Action" means you have to simultaneously press 2 different triggers, one allowing air flow, and another allowing paint?

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #13 of 17

It's the same trigger, you push down and pull back at the same time.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #14 of 17

Yep - like Tiggy posted. ONE trigger, you just have to push it down and pull it back at the same time. (You can regulate both how much air and how much color is sprayed)

With the single action, the air sprays all the time, you just are regulating how much color is used.

cakesarecool Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:04pm
post #15 of 17

WAHOO, PRETTY EXCITED.

I just purchased the Aztek airbrush & a Paasche compressor on e-bay, here are my spoils:

Airbrush:
http://tinyurl.com/cpz3n8

Compressor:
http://tinyurl.com/ctyxye

How did I do?

Thanks for all of the help!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 7:21am
post #16 of 17

Weeeellllll, I hate to rain on your parade, but if paint/makeup/tanner went through that airbrush, it should not be used on food.

Airbrushes dedicated for edible items (cakes) must not have been used with paint or other toxic materials.

The compressor looks nice and will be perfect as long as the psi can be adjusted from 10 - 30 psi. Much higher than 30 psi will blow holes in the icing.

Let us know how she likes her new toys! icon_smile.gif

Quote:

WAHOO, PRETTY EXCITED.

I just purchased the Aztek airbrush & a Paasche compressor on e-bay, here are my spoils:

Airbrush:
http://tinyurl.com/cpz3n8

Compressor:
http://tinyurl.com/ctyxye

How did I do?

Thanks for all of the help!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 8:55pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetBme

Quote:

Hope this helps!

Your husband does beautiful work!- but I'd bet he sure doesn't use an aztek!!! Seeing his work brings me back to the good ole days- I started out the same way- doing T-shirts and graphics. But during the 90's airbrushing kinda faded out- But I am glad to see that it seems to be coming back in! I miss it so much...I want to breath Createx in again! icon_smile.gif)))

For the other posts- there is no need to get what you think is a beginner brush it is just as cheap to get the best out there!!... If you learn with an inferior brush, then you are limited and will probably get frustrated and not airbrush..I have heard alot of ppl hate their brush until they get a "real" one..

The Aztek is top of the line- for a plastic brush... it was originally marketed in the 80s as a replacement for traditional airbrushes. It never quite lived up to that- because regular airbrush artists learned to control a regular brush and aztek does not allow you total control- the nozzles do that for you.

Any double action like the Paasche VL,Millenium,or Talon are top of the line and less than$90.
The Badger double actions are also a good solid brush
Iwatas are not really suited to anyone that wants to use pearl dust. But if you just do color, they are sweet.

Try chicagoairbrushsupply to get a good price.

The KK is a single action- so it has it's limits- but if you really aren't into painting fine detail'd pics on cakes then it works great. Pearl wears out it's cone quick tho...

On most of the complete KITS that you see on line- the price is mostly for the compressor- not the airbrush! Quality- Quiet compressors cost alot... period. If you find a cheap compressor it probably sounds like a lawn mower when on.

One of the best compressors out there is the KK airmaster compressor.- it is quiet and reliable. You can also get an Iwata smart jet- it is cheap and quiet- but it works best if you are using a gravity feed(cup on top) airbrush. The cheapest way to go is a tank compressor that you get from Walmart. Cheap= LOUD so you can't have it in a storefront...but if you put it in your garage and run a long hose- it works the best! If you already have a garage compressor (or your husband does) try your airbrush with it first before you buy a new compressor. That way you will learn what psi you will need to maintain and will know better what kind of compressor you like most!

icon_smile.gif

thank you so much for the informative post janetBme...i just ordered a Paasche talon dual action gravity fed airbrush from chicago for only 3 dollars more than the plain jane one they sell at decopac...i have the lil purple air compressor from decopac, i'm guessing it will work out ok with the new airbrush?

plus i just wanted to add....i've been a fan of your work for years, i was so glad to find your input before i made the order, i was totally in the dark.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%