Recipe For A Low Sugar Cake?

Decorating By lipstickvk Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 2:22am by lipstickvk

lipstickvk Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a birthday cake for an Asian gentleman that I work with. He has asked if I can please make a cake with little to no sugar. Does anyone have a recipe they have had success with. The celebration for him will be Friday, so I don't have any time to unsuccessfully try something and not have it work out. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thank you.

5 replies
costumeczar Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 6

You can't make a cake with little or no sugar, or if you do you'll find that the sugar substitutes have a nasty aftertaste and don't work right anyway. Sometimes you can cut down the amount of sugar by about 1/3 and it will still work.Won't be the same, but it will work.

If he's diabetic you can tell him that the American Diabetic Association doesn't forbid you from having cake, they just say that you have to be careful about it and not eat the whole cake!

Chef_Stef Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 6

Tell him, "Sure, but that would be BREAD."

Little sugar--you might try angel food or genoise or sponge cakes.

cupcakemkr Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 6

there are cake mixes if you want to go that route with reduced sugar - Pillsbury has a new white one out and sweet n low makes one. If you want to do it from scratch you can sub sugar with splenda baking blend.

Frost with:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sugar-Free-Frosting/Detail.aspx

not a decorators frosting but it is low sugar and tasty

I agree with previous posters though, diabetics are allowed sugar, they just have to plan for it and not eat 1/2 a cake

HTH

sweetpea1972 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 6

I actually did a 50th anniversary cake for a couple and made the top tier with a chocolate cake made with 1/2 splenda 1/2 sugar (on the Splenda website).
My DH who is diabetic tried it and thought it was pretty good. I thought it was OK, obviously not as good as full sugar icon_lol.gif but not too bad. I put SF raspberry jam between the layers. I couldn't do too much with the icing but that was good enough for them.

My thought was the cakes with more flavor (chocolate, spice/carrot) would be better because the spices help make up for the lack of sweetness.

lipstickvk Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:22am
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for responding. I've raised the question to the birthday boy . . . let's hope he goes for the reduced sugar cake mix.

Vanessa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%