Increased Baking Time For 325 Vs 350?

Decorating By SugarMountainCakes Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 7:22pm by SugarMountainCakes

SugarMountainCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMountainCakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 4

I like to bake at 325 for more level cakes, but I'm never really sure how much longer it needs to bake. For example, about how much longer for a 10" x 2" round?

I know it may vary depending on the oven, cake size, etc., but does anyone have a "rule of thumb" as to how much longer it will take to bake a cake at 325 vs. 350? For example, do you assume it will need to bake 10% longer, 20% longer?

3 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 4

I don't really have a rule of thumb, but I did bake a 10 by 2 yesterday, and it was in there for 60 min. at 325. I have never baked at 350 so I don't have anything to compare it to.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 4

If you HAVE to use a timer (I stopped using timers years ago ..... irritates my kids when I tell them "you bake it until it's done"), then set the time for 30 minutes, then check it. Set it for anothe 10 or 15 minutes then check it.

After awhile, you'll have an idea of how long it takes your oven to bake.

SugarMountainCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMountainCakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks everyone. I have a cake recipe that always seems to fall in the middle if I open the oven before it's done, so I'm having trouble figuring out when to start checking it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%