Is This Cake Possible...

Decorating By imamommy1205 Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 4:35pm by __Jamie__

imamommy1205 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 28

in frosting only and that looks smooth? Obviously it cant be silver, but they are ok with grey. They dont like fondant (although they have never had MMF which is what I would use), but that may be the only option for this cake. I tried this once with just frosting and it was a disaster. I am gonna try one more time with a fluffier frosting (seems like it might be easier to make smooth enough and I have to make a batch anyway for a birthday cake). Any suggestions on how to make it work without fondant? Or do you think it is even possible? It is a groom's cake that they need in Aungust, I really need to do this and make sure I am able to so that is they REALLY dont like fondant they either have time to come up with another idea or find someone else more skilled (although I am doing it for free bc they are family lol, cant beat the price on a budget)
LL

27 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 28

Yes..It can be done....many Good Buttercream decoraters can get the icing smooth like glass.I suggest finding a BC recipe which is very smooth to handle and work with.I use Whimsical Bakehouse Recipe and it is Non-crusting and soft like bakery whipped icing.I always get my icing smooth with out hot spatulas,water,viva towel which you can't use on the recipe anyways.If you do the icing grey and they spray it silver with a airbrush it will be quite close to the picture.Another option....crusting BC done very smooth..which is hard to do but can be done...and then airbrush silver also!!Good Luck!!

imamommy1205 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 28

I dont have an airbrush icon_sad.gif. But that was my thought with the whipped frosting. Thanks!! There is hope!!!

The thing about grey, there are similar valve covers that are grey rather than silver, which is why I am ok with going with grey. Although silver would be awesome!! I wish I could brush it on frosting. If I do have to resort to fondant, I will just paint the silver on.

Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 28

JFI....The silver won't piant on the WBH icing..It will just smear.

sweet_teeth Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 28

Why don't you do it in grey fondant and use the spray can pearl luster dust? I use it all the time and things look silver as can be.

I used it on the handle of my boombox cake as well as the silver accents on my xmas cake if you want to see how it looks.

hth

nanahaley Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 28

If the buttercream doesn't work out, you might try rolled buttercream (the recipe is on this site). My family refuses to eat fondant but they will eat the rolled buttercream.

patticakesnc Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 28

Could you use silver leaf on it? maybe over rolled buttercream?

I know you said they don't like fondant and I normally am a mmf girl too, but I made michele's fondant yesterday and OH MY! It is not only so easy to make and clean up, but it tastes GREAT!

http://www.pastrychef.com/SILVER-LEAF_p_810.html

imamommy1205 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 28

Thank you all for the advice! I looked up the rolled buttercream and michele's fondant...I will let you all know what I decide about it icon_biggrin.gif.

sadsmile Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 28

If you use a crusting buttercream you can Viva it smooth and if you tint the BC grey like alexandrabill said and then use a spray can of pearl it will look silver and he gets his BC.
I Use a half pre-creamed or hi-ration shortning and half butter crusting burtter cream recipe and I can viva it pretty smooth!
You may want to try melvira's roller method also. And there is a faux fondant recipe in the recipes section here that looks good. I am going to try that one soon- sorry I can't tell you if it works or how it tastes yet. But Sugarshack's buttercream works great and the secret is in the hot mix added to the creamed butter/shortning before the PS is addeded. There is a sticky on everything you want to know about butter cream and it is a great read!
If you wind up doing fondant of some kind I say check out the silver highlighter powders! Much cheeper then silver leaf sheets and bright silver like crome if applied in the right way!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Yes..It can be done....many Good Buttercream decoraters can get the icing smooth like glass.I suggest finding a BC recipe which is very smooth to handle and work with.I use Whimsical Bakehouse Recipe and it is Non-crusting and soft like bakery whipped icing.I always get my icing smooth with out hot spatulas,water,viva towel which you can't use on the recipe anyways.If you do the icing grey and they spray it silver with a airbrush it will be quite close to the picture.Another option....crusting BC done very smooth..which is hard to do but can be done...and then airbrush silver also!!Good Luck!!

your cakes blow me away! May I ask how you do that? Smooth WBH BC?

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:18pm
post #11 of 28

Wow....I wouldn't try that in buttercream only. Especially with the little nooks and crannies. No way could that get smooth and not hav little ridges and uneven ares. Fondant....and you can get the fondant super shiny silver. And you can use black piping gel of very thin fondant snakes for the details and accents. You can make a great "monogram" for the Ford logo....yeah, I wouldn't even think about doing that in BC.

sadsmile Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:21pm
post #12 of 28

yeah but the logo could be a butter cream transfer of a frozen rolled buttercream cut out placed carefully on...?

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:23pm
post #13 of 28

And since I work in the biz.....those are valve covers. And valve covers have rolled up (kind of) ridges like you can see in the pic. How could you do that with BC? You can't. And the areas where the bolts go....no way. Good luck, this would be a kick a$$ cake, but it's gotta be fondant to come close to doing it justice!

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:27pm
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

yeah but the logo could be a butter cream transfer of a frozen rolled buttercream cut out placed carefully on...?

Sure...and it would probly start to ooze and weep onto the fondant. I dunno.....can you put a frozen BC transfer on top of fondant? Something is telling me not really with that one.

I dunno....maybe since I am in the repair biz (cars), I see these really sweet chromed out aftermarket parts, especially valve covers and heads and all sorts of other stuff, it's a really good opportunity to make a tricked out cake, and the only way I can see doing it justice is carving, using fondant and gumpaste and lots of spray silver! And a perfectly executed logo....I can make some good ones, OP, check out my monograms in my pics with instructions in the comments.

Misdawn Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:27pm
post #15 of 28

I agree...you would be able to do the cake bet with fondant, but i also agree that you should respect the groom's wishes and not use fondant. I think your best option (compromise) would be to use rolled buttercream. I aslo agree with Jamie, that will definitely be a kick4$$ cake!

tonedna Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:30pm
post #16 of 28

Yes it can be done in buttercream, but is best done in a crusting buttercream. As for the silver, there is a company that sells silver spray in a can, almost like an airbrush, that can be used over buttercream.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Misdawn Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:32pm
post #17 of 28

OOOh Edna I didn't know that! Do you know the name of the company?

Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:35pm
post #18 of 28

Yes...the same company who sells the pearl lustre spray sells silver,gold,bronze.It is called PME from the UK and several online cake stores carry it like GSA..CK..it smells like heaven!!

Cupcakeshoppe, Thanks for the compliment.It wasn't always that easy though..I found a smooth BC recipe like WBH and a good plastic spatula and a turntable...it smooths like a dream.I always had a hard time with the crusting BC as it liked to tear the cake.

sweetiesbykim Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:36pm
post #19 of 28

I always tell my people "I can make it look awesome, but I'll need to cover it with fondant for the perfect look in your pictures. Then, the kitchen can either peel off all the fondant coating before cutting the cake, or guests can just choose not to eat it." They are usually fine with that, knowing the pictures will be saved forever, but the taste will be forgotten. I also give them a taste sample of my chocolate fondant, in case they had some overly sweet dry stuff of someone else's cake. And there are always guests who love fondant, especially white chocolate fondant icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:40pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

OOOh Edna I didn't know that! Do you know the name of the company?

KiddieCakes answered for you above! thumbs_up.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:44pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Sure...and it would probly start to ooze and weep onto the fondant. I dunno.....can you put a frozen BC transfer on top of fondant? Something is telling me not really with that one.

I dunno....maybe since I am in the repair biz (cars), I see these really sweet chromed out aftermarket parts, especially valve covers and heads and all sorts of other stuff, it's a really good opportunity to make a tricked out cake, and the only way I can see doing it justice is carving, using fondant and gumpaste and lots of spray silver! And a perfectly executed logo....I can make some good ones, OP, check out my monograms in my pics with instructions in the comments.

NO-NO-no LOL I meant on BC -I just forgot to type everything my brain was thinking I am just silly like that. And I think you have may been listening Negative Nancy a bit too much-don't let that gal rub off on you so much because it's contagious. icon_wink.gif There are tons of people who make real works of art with butter cream. Cars, crabs, dogs...the list is huge. After all it is cake and you can only come so close if you KWIM. A rope could be piped around the edge at the bottom for that rolled lip. And for those curved nooks where the screw holes are you can ice it the best you can and then curve a Viva in there and smooth it out with a finger or even a dowel and gentle stroking action. The black jel is a great idea for the black detial. Positive Penelope told me it can be done so go for it! thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:52pm
post #22 of 28

Oh I am in awe of some of the creations I see done in BC, trust me! I just happen to be hands on with those car parts on a daily basis and know the detail in them, and wow...would be a flipping genius to mimic in BC...I personally wouldn't do it, and be satisfied (if coming close enough is good enough, cool, just not for me). But sure, I'm sure someone out there could do it!

imamommy1205 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:58pm
post #23 of 28

Haha, if it werent for the bride and groom not liking fondant, I would have gone with that in the first place lol. I am gonna make kind of a small practice version today, one with the rolled butercream and one with the whipeped frosting...just to see which I prefer. As for the logo, I havent worked that out yet. I am thinking the "Ford" letters will have to be free hand, but I will use a stencil for the oval and for Racing (if i can find just stencil letters). That was the plan anyway. So sadsmile...how would I put the logo on buttercream? Sorry I am still a little new to some techniques. Thanks for the help everyone!

Misdawn Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:01pm
post #24 of 28

You really don't HAVE to do the logo freehand. If you can print it out on paper (card stock works best), then use a straight pin and punch holes through the design. then just lay the 'stencil' right where you want it on the cake and use the pin again to go back through your holes. Lift the stencil and you should have a pretty good pattern to follow on the cake.

tonedna Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #25 of 28

You can do the logo freehand, ot you can do it in colorflow. The colorflow will be easier cause you can put it over the originall letters.

Another thing is doing your own stencil. This can be time consuming, as you would have to cut all yourself. So usually I use this in monograms.

Another way is using edible images...
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:21pm
post #26 of 28

A FBCT and the instructions can be found in here.

Or and I like the way Jamie thinks... a plaque done out of fondant would have a nice crisp edge to it. I just did my own template for the 'S' logo on my Supergirl cake. I photo copied out the size I needed. I cut the logo out very carefully with an exacto knife. I rolled out fondan/gumpaste mix very thin and rubbed extra shortening on it so it wouldn't dry out and so the photo copied logo wouldn't stick and layed it down. Then I even more carefully cut out around the edges following the logo's lines. My plaque had multiple layers and I have to do slightly larger sizes for the bottom layers. Every part was left flat to dry and then glued together. It gave it a really nice crisp edge. I did use the silver highlighter I mentioned before only I didn't know how to apply it like chrome. I figured out how to do that for the faux broach on my next cake. The gift box. I lightly applied vodka with a brush and then used a dry brush with the highlighter powder and lightly pushed it on to the vodka brushed parts.

Edited the above so read me again Thanks Jamie!

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:29pm
post #27 of 28

Heck yeah! That Supergirl cake rocks! And I could go and onnnnnn about your box cake with the roses...holy flying pigs (heh heh) that is drop dead gorgeous!

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:35pm
post #28 of 28

So....this has been good for me this morning. I am now off to meet my mother and help her prepare flowers and setup for my grandmother's memorial service. She suffered so much in the end....thankfully, she is in a place I hope to get to someday.

This site is so much more than cake for me sometimes. Look at how many people from all corners of the world can come and chat and share tips and get worked up (me..heh heh) over logos and buttercream and laugh at avatars and talk about non cake stuff? Lolololol.... icon_smile.gif

See y'all later! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%