Chocolate Cake

Decorating By dhccster Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 3:56am by dhccster

dhccster Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 10

Hi- I am getting ready to make a chocolate cake for my daughter's birthday party. I usually make the Darn Good Chocolate cake from the Cake Dr. cookbook. I love that cake, but is there a better chocolate cake out there???

9 replies
patticakesnc Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 10

I don't know that it is better since I haven't tried the cake you make, but I make the Hersheys cake (recipe on back of cocoa). We love it and I have customers who swear it is the best cake they have ever eaten.

momof4sweeties Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 10

Honestly the Hersheys choc. cake on the cocoa box is the best cake I have found... Its always Moist and works very well for decorating.

lostbaker Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 10

Momof4sweeties: Do you make any changes in the recipe to make it any sturdier? Though I love the taste, its always been wayy too crumbly to even layer.

cupcakemkr Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 10

lostbaker - recently I have added a box of chocolate fudge jello brand pudding mix to the Hershey's Chocolate cake recipe and HOLY COW! it helps make it a bit more dense - it is quite amazing actually, love the recipe and so easy to through together!

momof4sweeties Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 10

I have never ha d a problem layering this cake but I may try that choc. fudge pudding in my next one.......yummy icon_biggrin.gif

idjitmom Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:19am
post #8 of 10

THis is my standard chocolate cake, except I also add a small box of pudding

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sandys-Chocolate-Cake/Detail.aspx

It really is the best, I always get a ton of compliments!

mclaren Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:23am
post #9 of 10

i'm still eating this one, apparently it tastes better after few days, and i would say, it's not so crumbly. i got it from here, one member posted the link (sorry can't remember), and some recipes were found there, looked sooo easy so i gave it a try.
the 1st slice i cut out of the oven didn't impress me so much, but i kept the whole uncut cake in the fridge, wrapped, cut it again 2 days later and man, it tastes so good, and moist too:

INGREDIENTS

2 cups cake flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup hot coffee
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

METHOD
  Preheat the oven to 350°F; and line 2 x 9" round cake pans with parchment or wax circles.
  Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa and sugar in a large mixing bowl

Add the hot coffee, oil and milk and mix it for about 2 minutes.

Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the eggs and vanilla. Beat for 2 more minutes. This chocolate cake recipe has a very liquid batter.

Pour batter in prepared cake pans and bake for approx. 30 minutes. The cake is ready when an inserted wooden skewer or cake tester comes out clean or when cake springs back when lightly pressed with a finger.

Let the cake cool in pans for about 10 minutes. Loosen the sides with a knife or metal spatula and invert to a metal rack. Invert again to another rack to prevent the cake from splitting.

**just that, i used one 8"x8" square pan instead of the pans called for in the recipe.

dhccster Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 3:56am
post #10 of 10

Thank you all so much. They all look so yummy. I am excited to try some of these new recipes!!! Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%