What To Sell At A Farmer's Market?

Decorating By plbennett_8 Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 1:51am by plbennett_8

plbennett_8 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:15am
post #1 of 6

Hi All,

I would like to get some feedback please... My community is just starting a Farmers Market, and they are asking for people to sell baked goods. I thought it would be a good way to get my name out there. But, What would you sell? Cupcakes, cookies... Small cakes, by the piece? I've never done this, so I'm kind of at a loss... What do ya'll think?

Thanks,
Pat B.

5 replies
cylstrial Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:51am
post #2 of 6

I think that's awesome! There are so many ways that you could do this. You could just pick an item and make it that day, like cupcakes. And then the next time you go, you could make cupcakes. Or you could make a some cookies and some cupcakes. You could sell the cake by the slice, but honesty, I'm thinking it might just be easier to go with the cupcakes. But it's really up to you.

I would probably ask the customers what they would like to see you sell. And then in the future you might want to work up to that.

Hope this helps!

maryjsgirl Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 6

If you haven't already I would make sure you are legally allowed to sell baked goods. I know in my state we also have to get a permit through the Board of Health to sell food at events.

Is your Farmers Market an all day event? Or just a morning/early afternoon thing? I think this will make a difference in what to make. If it will only be in the morning then I would make things people may eat for breakfast like scones, muffins, rolls, etc. Then have some things they could take home for dessert later like full sized pies, bundt cakes, quick breads, etc.

If it's an all day event then I would make sure to have single serving goodies for people to eat right away. Things that are no fuss, in case they want to eat them right then. Hand pies, cupcakes, whoopie pies, cookies, etc.

I would think about offering cold water too. You are down south so maybe even sweet tea by the cup.

messy_chef Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 6

I think pound cakes, coffee cakes, bundt cakes are all going to be good sellers at the FM.

bakery_chick Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 6

I am just thinking about doing this as well. I think I have decided to go with cookies and granola and nothing too perishable or heat sensitive. I wanted to go cheap on extra supplies. Also transporting goods from the facility to the fair can be problematic. My thing was no mess/no fuss.

plbennett_8 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:51am
post #6 of 6

Thanks ladies! icon_smile.gif

I am not getting notices that ya'll had replied. It is an early market from 8 am - 12 noon. So heat should not be a large concern for a while. I think the idea of having some breakfast goods is great! Maybe a couple of different kinds of muffins, and Kalache's? Hmmm...ideas on how I could keep Kalache's warm for a couple of hour without electricity?

I'm also thinking of some cupcakes, cookies, cake by the slice, and then a few whole cakes that they could bring home for Sunday dinner the next day... I was thinking that some kind of drink would be a good idea.. Thanks! icon_smile.gif I really don't want to way over do it, but would hate to sell out early too...lol...

I can't get it together to set up at the market this coming Saturday (hate that...so many easy cute things could be done for Easter...), but I'm going to go check it out and see how it goes... Thanks for your suggestions, and keep them coming! icon_smile.gif I've never done this before, so any tips from Markets / Crafts Show guru's would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Pat B.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%