Less Sweet Butter Cream & Imbc/smbc Question

Decorating By Niquie Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 2:01pm by Niquie

Niquie Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:07am
post #1 of 5

Hi all,
I got a request for a less sweet butter cream. I normally make indydebi's (which is what I used on the first cake I made for this person), but I was wondering is there a way to make indydebi's recipe less sweet, or is there another recipe that someone can share? Also, for anyone who uses IMBC or SMBC can either these be made stiff enough to decorate with. I've never made either of them and I was wondering could I use one of them to make flowers and decorate with? Thanks for any help. I know I saw a thread where someone else was asking about a less sweet butter cream, but I can't seem to locate it, so I'm asking again.

4 replies
cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:18am
post #2 of 5
gerripje Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:38am
post #3 of 5

I'm not totally sure, but I believe I read somewhere adding some corn starch cuts some of the sweetness. ?? I have made some of my best roses with SMBC, but I can't smooth it for nothing!!

xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:14am
post #4 of 5

I just tried SMBC for the first time this weekend and yes I think it's perfect for a not to sweet icing. To me it has the consistency of whipped cream. According jkalman's recipe (which is the one I made) you can pipe with and make flowers with it.

I used it to make swirls on cupcakes (all three things were a first for me and were a hit with the kids and my DH).

Niquie Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks alot guys. I'll have to try a batch of both the SMBC and the recipe for the Not-so-sweet butter cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%