Found Old Cookbooks

Decorating By luvsfreebies72 Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 5:01am by luvsfreebies72

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:49am
post #1 of 4

so we recently moved into a new house and when I was cleaning out one of the cupboards I found some old cookbooks

The Joy of Cooking Vol 1 Main Dish Courses 1974 printing
The Joy of Cooking Vol2 Appetizers Desserts and Baked Goods 1974 printing
Betty Crockers All-Time Favorites 1976 printing
Betty Crocker's Good & Easy Cookbook 1976 printing

they look like they were printed for financial institutions and probably given as gifts when an account was opened.

They are so cool! It's been great reading them and seeing how we used to cook and bake, ya know? The Betty Crockers even have scratch recipes

3 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:20am
post #2 of 4

Lucky You! Gotta love cook books! icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:32am
post #3 of 4

OH you are SO LUCK! I used to have The Joy of Cooking from the '60's . Gone! icon_sad.gif I also had a Waldorf Astorisa one as well, also gone! I did have Betty Crocker's as well from the '80's. GONE,GONE,GONE! Darn being a military wife for over 10 years! All I have left is my Fannie Farmer from the '60's. And that is the book I actually learned how to tier cakes from. I definitly love reading the way wew used to cook to how we cook now. I'm SO jealous! icon_biggrin.gif

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:01am
post #4 of 4

if anyone wants recipes from these, let me know and i'll post 'em in the recipe section

I was reading the section on cake decorating and they advised to cut shapes in to the parchment pastry bags (with pictures on how to make the bags)

guess what the wedding cake was? White cake w/ almond flavoring icon_lol.gif or a fruit cake. some things never change... there's also a white almond sour cream cake (just called sour cream cake)

'cupcakes" was spelled "cup cakes" and molded cakes were considered to be children's cakes... chiffon cakes are an american invention and what the commercial baking mixes were made to duplicate (I learned that one on food network as well. Duncan Hines invented them)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%