Gumpaste Flowers On Bc Icing?

Decorating By wildflower Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 4:03pm by tonedna

wildflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:14am
post #1 of 7

hii guys
i was just going through old threads to try to add to my limited amount of cake knowledge when i came upon a thread where someone had attached gumpaste to bc and it had made the gp decorations droopy and limp
i was wondering if that would still happen if that flowers etc.were on toothpicks?
i ask because i just spent the past week making my first batch of gumpaste roses etc.[50/50 gp and fondant] and i really had planned to use them for a wedding cake i have to give on friday
the cake is for my cuzins freind and they are picking the cake up so i have to have it all decorated etc. and then they will be serving it i think on saturday or sunday
anyway now im really worried that my roses and stuff for the cake will not last till the day of the wedding
does anyone have any suggestions?
my whole design concept was based on these flowers and i really dont want to have to worry about this with only 2 days to go icon_sad.gif

please help!
tia!

6 replies
wildflower Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 7

totally giving myself a bump here!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 7

This only happens when the gumpaste is not completely dry. Or sometimes the quality of the gumpaste. The longer is dry the best. I use gumpaste flowers on my buttercream cakes all the time, and dont have this issue.

Just make sure is completely dried for a few days.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 7

I think it will be fine. The only time I had trouble with things getting droopy was when it was during the summer (humid) and the cake had been completely covered and sealed up over night. I think the trapped moisture was the problem. As long as some air is circulating around the cake it will be fine. Any other time I've used gumpaste or fondant decorations they have been fine. Good luck!

wildflower Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 7

o thank god edna!
lol,i was just about to pm you but i didnt want to bother you so i was waiting for the answer to magically appear
so heres to hoping that everythings going to be ok then because mine have been air drying for i think a week now[i did have to use 50/50 wilton fondant and gumpaste because i didnt have anything else available]
i also used your youtube video so hopefully all goes well and i can even post pics of my flowers to show what a great teacher you are!icon_smile.gif
thanks again!

wildflower Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 7

thank you tweedieicon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower

o thank god edna!
lol,i was just about to pm you but i didnt want to bother you so i was waiting for the answer to magically appear
so heres to hoping that everythings going to be ok then because mine have been air drying for i think a week now[i did have to use 50/50 wilton fondant and gumpaste because i didnt have anything else available]
i also used your youtube video so hopefully all goes well and i can even post pics of my flowers to show what a great teacher you are!icon_smile.gif
thanks again!

lol...you can pm anytime..It doesnt bother me...The only time I had an issue with flowers melting, was in a competition. The cake stood to weeks in the place and seems they turned off the AC and the place got too hot at night. At the end of the week the top flowers melted. But then again.. I had used a gumpaste that was out of date..and that didnt help.

Lessons learned..icon_smile.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%