Do They Eat The Fondant?

Decorating By JustABite Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm by xstitcher

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:42pm
post #31 of 42

To the ppl who use satin ice......Do you buy it pre-colored or color it yourself?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm
post #32 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakesnbuttercream

To the ppl who use ......Do you buy it pre-colored or color it yourself?

I guess it would depend on the colour some colours (like red and black are harder to achieve) others I would colour myself.

I know lots of folks use MMF but you have to come over to the dark side and try MFF it's way better and I find easier to make.

GeorgiaGingerbread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgiaGingerbread Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:49pm
post #33 of 42

I love the Massa Grischuna fondant! It smells wonderful, tastes awesome, and is soooo forgiving to work with! I believe you can only purchase it in the 13 lb buckets, but the breakdown of price per pound (for the Americana) is actually around the same price of Satin Ice.

I would recommend the Massa Americana if you're going to color the fondant anything other than white. The neutral is transparent and you will be able to see through it. You can just add Americolor whitener to the neutral and have much success in making it white, but would not have much luck with adding other colors.

This is the fondant that Nicholas Lodge uses for all of his classes and it really is great to work with!

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:57pm
post #34 of 42

I only make cakes with fondant and mostly everyone eats it. The kids love it!!!
I used to make MMF but now I only make Michele Foster's fondant. It taste good and I can make it any flavor.
I've had Satin Ice, it's ok, it taste a bit artificial to me.
It really depends on personal taste.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:52pm
post #35 of 42

I love Fondx & Satin Ice. I bought Jennifer Dontz's DVD & follow her recipe for chocolate fondant, she advises using Pettinice for it, but I have found the Fondx & Satin Ice work well. I also flavor my fondant with extracts or liqueurs & always put a normal layer of BC under the fondant, I also roll my fondant pretty thin. It is delicious.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #36 of 42

When it comes to serving fondant covered cakes, I'm baaaaad. For my free cakes at work, which are really practice cakes for Wilton courses that I'm in right now, I use Wilton fondant. And I don't tell anyone not to eat it - I just keep quiet. It's a free cake, and I can't afford to give away satin ice, nor do I want to go to the trouble of MMF for class. After classes are over, I'm going to experiment with MMF. Life is too busy right now though.

Personally, I love fondant.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm
post #37 of 42

I buy black and red satin ice... simply because I hate mixing those colors.

I've used wilton, fondarfic (tastes AMAZING), satin ice, fondx, MMF, and MFF. My coworkers have also pretty much tried them all. They all agree that fondarific tastes great, but they still don't eat it. Those who do eat it will eat any of the brands, including wilton.

I've asked many times why they won't eat even the good tasting ones and I get the same response everytime: texture. I don't blame 'em. I hate the texture too. The last thing I want in my mouth is rubber with a delicious fluffy cake. The solution: peel it off. Many of my coworkers and past clients just think of it as a edible decoration that is not meant to be eaten (such as a gumpaste flower). It CAN be eaten.. and most little kids do.. but it's just not worth the calories taste wise, or texture wise, lol.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:23pm
post #38 of 42

I only use my recipe for cream cheese fondant... Almost all my cakes are done with it, and it's SOOOOO GOOD! I've made it in mint, almond, vanilla, chocolate, etc... It's kind of like those little cream cheese mints you get at weddings, you know? Yummy stuff... icon_biggrin.gif

it's not chewy like other fondants, and I've never had anybody pick it all off, either... icon_lol.gif

prettysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettysweet Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:25pm
post #39 of 42

It certainly is a matter of taste. I'm not that fond of it but I really had to laugh when I made a castle cake recently. The castle itself was buttercream but I covered carboard rolls with MMF to make the turrets. The recipients raved about the cake and added they pulled every bite of the MMF off the rolls to eat and it was great.

NiteOwl4evr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NiteOwl4evr Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:32pm
post #40 of 42

What is the best MMF recipe to use..there are several listed on here. What do CC's recommend as the BEST?

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:52pm
post #41 of 42

Yes, while it is made to be eaten,I find that most adults dont like the taste so they peel it off.I think it has alot to do with the texture also, people are not use to cake being so chewy. I'm from a small town and most people want BC but I decorate the cakes with fondant decorations. I have recently discovered MMF and while it does taste MUCH better, customers still are not sure they want that marshmallow taste either and i've found that MMF is softer, therefore harder to make figures with. Can someone please tell me what Satin ice is?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm
post #42 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakedreamer1212

Yes, while it is made to be eaten,I find that most adults dont like the taste so they peel it off.I think it has alot to do with the texture also, people are not use to cake being so chewy. I'm from a small town and most people want BC but I decorate the cakes with fondant decorations. I have recently discovered MMF and while it does taste MUCH better, customers still are not sure they want that marshmallow taste either and i've found that MMF is softer, therefore harder to make figures with. Can someone please tell me what is?

Ready made Fondant just like Wilton but you CAN eat it icon_lol.gif . Not that Wilton's is not edible, I just don't know who would want to eat it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%