Need Help With Cake Dummy

Decorating By campbelland Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 10:52pm by Sweet_Guys

campbelland Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:16am
post #1 of 11

I will be doing a all fake dummy wedding cake that will be covered with fondant, any suggestions? Iv covered them with buttercream but not fondant. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Sandy

10 replies
cylstrial Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:47am
post #2 of 11

I would use clear packing tape and tape the dummy all over. That way you preserve your dummy. Then you will want something to keep the fondant on, such as piping gel. Be careful of the top edges, if they aren't beveled, the fondant will want to tear. So you just have to be very gentle. Good luck!

EnjoyTheCake Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:58am
post #3 of 11

Don't bother putting anything between the fondant and the styrofoam. Just use a very fine mist of water and put the fondant on.

When you're ready to change it, soak it well in water. The water will make the fondant soft and you can clean off the dummy that way.

PatricesPieces Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:06am
post #4 of 11

I put shortening on the dummy before putting the fondant on. You can soak them after you are done and re-use the dummy. The shortening also keeps the fondant from tearing as much.

xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:44am
post #5 of 11

Besides what the PP said if you don't have the contour top dummies than you may want to "file" the edges down first so there not as sharp. You could just press them down on the counter to do that.

campbelland Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for all the great suggestions. how soon could I cover this cake? If the wedding is on Sat. IM doing 4 large sheet cakes to serve and I want to start this dummy cake early in the week to have it all done. If its only for show anyway would it hurt for the fondant to dry? or would you keep it covered? Thanks, Sandy

jammjenks Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 11

You can cover it now. Those things keep for an eternity.

donnan Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 11

How do you all charge when you decorate a dummy cake? I have a 5 tier dummy cake to do with lots of fondant decorations, and I don't know how to charge for it???? Do you charge the same price as if it were real cake?

campbelland Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 11

Well mine is for my cousins daughter so IM not charging very much, just mostly for the fondant that IM putting on the dummies. Sandy

xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:06pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnan

How do you all charge when you decorate a dummy cake? I have a 5 tier dummy cake to do with lots of fondant decorations, and I don't know how to charge for it???? Do you charge the same price as if it were real cake?

I would charge pretty much the same. For me it's the decorating that takes the longest, especially when I have to do gp pieces!

Sweet_Guys Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 11

It takes as much time to decorate and the same amount of materials to decorate as a real cake. Some posters have suggested cutting off 20% of their cake price due to not using cake ingredients. If you're getting the cake back afterwards, 80% would be ok. If they're keeping the dummies, charge the whole thing. Afterall, you have to spend money for the dummies.

Paul & Peter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%