Black Fondant

Decorating By TantalizingTreats Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 2:27am by Chippi

TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:22am
post #1 of 12

how come everytime I make my mmf black... the texture changes? it rips constantly... and its hard to roll out... i don't get, does anyone have any tips for me? I tried making chocolate fondant then coloring, but still have the same problem.
please help?

11 replies
tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:30am
post #2 of 12

I start with chocolate fondant unless I only have a small amount to make. I use Americolor gel. If I start with white fondant I use black then add a little violet when it starts to turn a nasty greenish color, and let it sit a while for the color to develop.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #3 of 12

I just posted about this over the weekend and got no answer. I always start with chocolate mmf when I want black, so I assumed it was because of the chocolate. Maybe it is all the food color. Mine does tear a little easier but what bothers me is it looks porous. Can anyone out there help us out?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #4 of 12

I've found for black and red it's really best to go with the pre-colored Satin Ice. It holds up so much better than trying to color it yourself.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:39am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I've found for black and red it's really best to go with the pre-colored . It holds up so much better than trying to color it yourself.

You beat me to it. This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Premade is the way to go on those dark colors.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:31am
post #6 of 12

Same thing. I buy Satin Ice so that I don't have to deal with the issues of making it. It's just too hard.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:34am
post #7 of 12

I guess I should re-phrase that instead of making myself look like a wimp. Making black fondant is a PIMA and it's just not worth it to me. I'd just rather buy it then make it!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:49am
post #8 of 12

Satin Ice all the way!! icon_biggrin.gif

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 12

I just made a wedding cake that needed alot of black fondant...I used Satin Ice and got a much better consistency than when I have made my MMF black. (btw, I always started my black as chocolate MMF also). I don't think I'll ever make black again! thumbs_up.gif

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 12

I used to make MMF but now I only make Michele Foster's fondant. I add about 3 tubs of black gel to it. With red, I add 4 gels. I have to add additional powered sugar to it as well. I haven't had a problemicon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7432-Michele-Fosters-Updated-Fondant.html

GeorgiaGingerbread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgiaGingerbread Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:02pm
post #11 of 12

When I needed to make black fondant, I used the dark chocolate Satin Ice. I didn't need to use as much black gel paste, so there was no change in texture or consistency.

I think that anytime you need to make gumpaste or fondant a red or black, you have to add so much coloring that it alters the consistency dramatically sometimes.

I think next time I need black though, I will try Michele Foster's recipe because pre-made chocolate fondant is not always so fun to work with. btw....I did purchase Michele's cookbook for myself for Christmas and I love it! Highly recommended!

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:27am
post #12 of 12

I just bought some Choco-pan in black for my cookies and accents on a cake. I was referred to it by the great CC'ers! I am so happy I ordered some instead of messing with coloring it. Seems to me with the darker colors, you have to knead in so much americolor it starts breaking down the fondant. Stil usable but more difficult.

Chippi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%