Dora The Explorer Cake Ideas

Decorating By chikadodle Updated 12 Apr 2009 , 3:45am by xstitcher

chikadodle Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:13am
post #1 of 4

Hi,
This is my first post on any forums here, but I've been reading others' posts for a little while now. Lots of great information here, so I'm hoping for some help with a couple of kids' birthday cakes.
I've been asked to make two 6" Dora cakes for a pair of twins birthday. I own a bakery and obviously don't want copyright law troubles, so I'm looking for any suggestions for nice looking cakes that don't step on any toes. Also, the price for these cakes is pretty low so I don't want to go way over the top. Thank you all for any help!

3 replies
xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:28am
post #2 of 4

Is there any way to get the customer to purchase some dora kit or topper for the cake and have them put it on the cake you provide? I don't know what you could do that would let you know it was a dora cake without one of the well known characters on it.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

CakesbyCarla Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:38am
post #3 of 4

I'm new so forgive me if this is a stupid question. What copyright laws are you afraid of? If you draw something in frosting or paint it on fondant what's the problem? You aren't creating a product that lasts or can be played with and thus would be competing with the toys/books etc produced by those in biz with the show. It's a dessert. Why couldn't you take a picture from a coloring book or something and use it to do that frozen buttercream transfer? Or cut out some fondant in the shape of Dora and paint it with Food coloring etc?

xstitcher Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 3:45am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyCarla

I'm new so forgive me if this is a stupid question. What copyright laws are you afraid of? If you draw something in frosting or paint it on fondant what's the problem? You aren't creating a product that lasts or can be played with and thus would be competing with the toys/books etc produced by those in biz with the show. It's a dessert. Why couldn't you take a picture from a coloring book or something and use it to do that frozen buttercream transfer? Or cut out some fondant in the shape of Dora and paint it with Food coloring etc?

Don't know all the nitty gritty but basically it boils down to them wanting a piece of the pie. You can make all of the things you mentioned above but you cannot sell it. You could get fined/sued if the co. gets wind of it. It's the same as Wilton's character pans - they are meant for home use only. You cannot make a character pan and sell it (ie mickey mouse, thomas the train etc.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%