Helppp!!! Roses Are Going Bad!

Decorating By mavreader Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 3:32am by xstitcher

mavreader Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:59am
post #1 of 6

icon_surprised.gif hey, okay....I'm trying to follow the wilton instructions to make a beautiful cross cake. I'm preparing the roses on top in advance, however....when I prepared the wilton buttercream, it looked like stiff consistency and i started the rose and the petals were horrible!!! they were all cracked and falling apart. to top it off, the base was falling off the wax paper! does anyone have any ideas about what i did wrong? what can i do better? thanks
- mark

5 replies
auntmamie Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:03am
post #2 of 6

I can't help you with the roses, but I can tell you to BREATHE!!!! Easter is still 5 days away - someone with diagnostic experience will be along soon to help, and your cake will be beautiful.

prterrell Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:39am
post #3 of 6

Sounds like your icing is too stiff. Thin it a bit with some corn syrup. Just about a tbsp at a time. Then try the roses again until you get the consistency you want. I never make mine on wax paper. You can use (clean!) scissors to lift the rose off the nail and onto wax paper or parchment paper lined sheet pan if you are making them ahead of time. IMHO real scissors work much better than the Wilton flower lifter, I keep a small pair of "kiddy" scissors (the small kind made for kids to use in school) in my cake kit. Pop 'em straight into the dishwasher to clean if they get really messy, or just run under hot tap water. HTH! And remember, if you don't get the roses the way you want, you can always deco the cake with some pretty drop flowers or some fresh berries!

Lil_Belle Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:38am
post #4 of 6

ditto to the too stiff buttercream, I used to do that all the time! I wanted to make sure they'd stand up so I'd add extra ps, it only makes the flower crack and makes it a pain to push out of the bag. Make the bc as directed and then add liquid as needed. I now use seriouscakes bc recipe because it cuts out some of the sweet and smooths like a dream (yes I have had dreams about smooth cakes). I find that her's starts out good for roses and if needed just add more cream to get it good for frosting cakes icon_smile.gif

hope that helps! and relax, right now they're a pain but once you get roses down they'll look gorgeous and you'll wonder why you stressed out sooooo much!

SeriousCakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:17am
post #5 of 6

Try this instead as a base:

I've found my roses to be much more sturdy with a larger base icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:32am
post #6 of 6
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

Try this instead as a base:

I've found my roses to be much more sturdy with a larger base icon_biggrin.gif

Loved your video, especially the part with your "assistant" , I could just see myself having the same result trying to get the roses off the nail and onto the pot! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%