Need Some Pro Cake Architects Advise

Decorating By cakequeen50 Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 5:28pm by SweetMelissa2007

cakequeen50 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 4

I have a cake this Sat. that is going to be a hotel replica but SMALL. The hotel will be 4" thick, 12" tall and 9" wide. This will stand next to a 1/3 of a sheet cake. So it will be kind of like a big thick phone book standing up.
I have to deliver it 45 minutes away.
Any advise from the pros on this would be great!

I have made many, many a sculpted cake but not so tall and narrow. Been a professional decorator for about a million years but structurally, it scares me.

Logically, use 2 rods up the middle of the cake, also post and board every 4 inches, cover in fondant...... but delivering this I have 2 people, one driver and one with hands barely on the hotel, the whole way, then put it next to the sheet when we get there?
I guess I could stand it up and have boxes standing all around to keep it up, then put it together at delivery.

Anyway, it is the Omni Hotel in Atlanta for a woman who worked there for many, many years and is retiring.

I always have the bad habit of saying, "of course I can do it"....then say to myself...HOW????

3 replies
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:52am
post #2 of 4

What if you use the 2 rods like you suggested but instead of just pushing them through the cakes, start off with them screwed in to the board? Then you can place each layer on the dowels and they shouldn't tip at all during transport. You can get thicker dowels at Home Depot or Lowes. I've done this before and it doesn't move!

cakequeen50 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:25am
post #3 of 4

How do you mean "screw" them in? drill a hole in the board and hot glue them? I am talking of dowel rods. I you thinking metal rods?

SweetMelissa2007 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 4

No, not metal, use wood dowels and a wood board covered with whatever you want to cover it with. Turn it over so the bottom is facing up, start screwing the screw in but not all the way or you'll screw it to your table. Then turn it onto it's side and place the dowel onto the screw and finish screwing all the way. That's why I said you may need a thicker dowel, at least thicker than your screw! I got mine at Home Depot and they come as long "poles" so you can cut to length each time you need them.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%