What Would You Charge Per Slice?

Business By Alaskahsm Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 1:55am by Alaskahsm

Alaskahsm Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 5

I may have a lead to do my first wedding cake. I don't really know many details yet, but if she did hire me to do it, I don't know how much to charge. I don't want to undercut the bakeries, but I also don't feel right about charging the bride the same price when I m just starting out and have never done a wedding cake before. Any help would be appreciated.

4 replies
kellertur Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #2 of 5

well congratulations and good luck!

I've asked this several times (having been inexperienced myself) and someone put it this way~ the plumber/electrician who just starts out doesn't charge less than the guy who's been doing it for a hundred years. (it sounded better coming from the other person). icon_confused.gif
You need to be fair to yourself, value your work (not that you don't) and charge accordingly. What is your time worth, utilities used, ingredients, etc.? I'm sorry I can't be more help, but I've struggled with this very thing myself.

by the way~ my best bud lives in Anchorage! I'm guessing you live in AK because of your screen name.(?)

Alaskahsm Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:40am
post #3 of 5

I do live in Alaska, in Anchorage in fact. icon_smile.gif Thanks for the quote, it does help a lot. So should I just call around to bakeries to get their prices?

Brownie1954 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:50am
post #4 of 5

Yes, I would call around and see what it charged per slice. It will help you come up with a price of your own. I live here in Dayton Ohio, and around my area it ranges from $2.00 to $4.00. Mind you, Dayton is not a very big city, nor are the little towns surrounding it. Someone, somewhere else may gasp, and say this it not enough. But as always, it depends on where you live. Good luck with this! icon_biggrin.gif

Alaskahsm Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:55am
post #5 of 5

Wow I just looked at the sites for two of the bakeries here and they charge between 5 and 6 dollars a slice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%