How To Paint Fondant

Decorating By AfordRN Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 4:50am by xstitcher

AfordRN Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 4

Looking for a quick answer for this. I've been asked to make this cake.

I PM the CC artist and she gave me directions. She told me she painted the black and silver. So does that mean she covered it in white and then painted all that?? icon_eek.gif What do you use to paint it with? Luster dust wouldn't color it enough would it? Does it make more sense to cover it in a colored fondant and then add the silver accents?

The one I need to make will have red gas tank and wheel fenders.

Thanks for your help! icon_lol.gif

3 replies
weirkd Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 4

It looks like, and this is what I would do also, she used black fondant and then colored all the accent pieces silver (they would of been white and she used vodka and luster dust). For the red, I would use red fondant also.

aimers Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 4

You can paint fondant with gel food color and clear alcohol (vodka is my choice) or flavored extract. For the silver I combine veggetable oil with silver luster dust (this option stays tacky and does not dry completely)

In my photos if you look at Optimus Prime he is hand painted with the gel colors and alcohol and the chrome is all oil and luster dust.

If you need to do red or black I would just cover it in red or black fondant... and make life a little easier. you can always do luster dust over that for that new motorcycle shine

xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:50am
post #4 of 4

What the last two posters said!

Quote by @%username% on %date%