Carving A Cake.

Decorating By ElinJ Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 12:07am by Charmed

ElinJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElinJ Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 7

Hey, I know this question has probably been asked a million times but anyways...

I'd like to carve a 7inch round cake into a dome shape. I have no idea how to go about doing this. I mean I have a really vague idea but I really want to do it right first time, so I was wondering if anyone had a guide or knew where I could find a guide to doing this.

The most I've done is a square shaped cake so this is a really big deal. I don't get much time to do many cakes but love doing it!

Thanks in advance for any advice icon_smile.gif

6 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 7

If you're iffy about carving, do you have a round, pyrex or other oven-safe bowl you could bake the cake in? That might be an easier route. I have baked in ceramic mugs, pyrex dishes, and other things to get shapes I needed.

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 7

Something I heard that I have never done (actually going to try out at the end of this week) is to cut a 9x13 inch cake into strips. Line a glass bowl with plastic wrap, layer cake strips in, top with frosting, add another layer...until you have made the bowl shape. Refrigerate overnight, remove from bowl and frost.

Baking it in a stainless steel bowl would be a good solution though. I have never baked cake in a glass bowl, so I dont know if that would work, but if poohsmomma has tried it and it worked...then by all means do it! lol

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 7

Another option is to get the wonder mold pan. If you have a coupon for Michaels/Hobby Lobby/Joanne's or AC Moore you could probably get it for 40-50% off.

ElinJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElinJ Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 7

Poohsmomma is probably my best bet. I'll try with a pyrex bowl!

I live in the UK, so we don't have any of those stores, and I need to do it tomorrow, so ordering online isn't an option.

Thanks for all the help.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 7

i use both a steel bowl and or a pyrex or glass bowl both are oven safe the glass one is also microwave safe... it works well its the lining of them that is hard lol... and i use either as depends on what sort of shape i want as both are slightly different.

the wondermold or dolly varden tin is another good one too.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:07am
post #7 of 7

how about stacking 7,6,5,4 round cakes and then carve them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%