Letting Batter Sit On The Counter?

Decorating By niccicola Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 6:04am by JanH

niccicola Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 11

Ok, so today is MAJOR baking day. I do it from home, so I only have one oven. I do this all the time, but I want to see what the opinions are.

For example-I am making a 6"x4" Red Velvet heart shape. Since the pan is so little, I split the batter into 1/3s. I have to wait until the first cake is done to cook the 2nd because I only have one pan.

The red velvet sits on the counter for 2 baking cycles before it's totally used up. Can there be any problems with doing this (as far as bacteria, etc.)

I do it all the time with no cake issues, and have not made anyone sick, but as I was waiting, I got to wondering about it.

Thanks.

10 replies
brincess_b Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 11

i wouldnt be concerned about bacteria or anything (maybe you should be, i dont know, but i wouldnt b worried, lol), id be more worried about how the cake turns out cause the ingredients will have been reacting with each other for different lengths of time before getting baked. i havent done it often enough to notice a difference though. i take it you havent noticed any diference in how deep the cakes are, taste?
xx

PinkZiab Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 11

It's fine, but I would throw something over the top of the bowl, just to prevent anything from settling on top of the batter while it's waiting.

wildflower Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 11

heyy there
i just had to do that for a cake and it seemed fine to me when it came out baked[ mine sat for around an hour cuz there wasnt enough space left in the over for the next pan]
hth!

luvsfreebies72 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 11

I would throw it in the fridge in between baking cycles. I seem to remember reading once long ago that the cold helps slow the leavening reaction that happens when the liquid and leavening are mixed

elvis Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 11

I would put it in the fridge since it's an unknown and that's such an easy solution. That's what I do. And as a strange, unrelated side note... I've noticed that batter left in the fridge for several hours or overnight make cakes that are even more moist.

ptanyer Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 11

If I have a heavy decorating week planned I will make all my batters one night and store in the refrigerator. Then the next night make all the frostings/fillings, then bake the next night, and so on. I haven't noticed anything different about the cakes that I made using this method. I have also had batter sitting on the counter for hours and the cakes turned out just as nice as the first one I baked. I do put something over the bowl or put all the batter in storage containers to keep out little fingers! I have also frozen batter and that worked too! HTH icon_smile.gif

solascakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsfreebies72

I would throw it in the fridge in between baking cycles. I seem to remember reading once long ago that the cold helps slow the leavening reaction that happens when the liquid and leavening are mixed

I would stick them in the fridge,i do that all the time.

luvsfreebies72 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptanyer

If I have a heavy decorating week planned I will make all my batters one night and store in the refrigerator. Then the next night make all the frostings/fillings, then bake the next night, and so on. I haven't noticed anything different about the cakes that I made using this method. I have also had batter sitting on the counter for hours and the cakes turned out just as nice as the first one I baked. I do put something over the bowl or put all the batter in storage containers to keep out little fingers! I have also frozen batter and that worked too! HTH icon_smile.gif

hmmmm I might have to try this...

cylstrial Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:22am
post #10 of 11

I throw mine in the fridge with plastic wrap on top of it. I haven't had any trouble with it.

JanH Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:04am
post #11 of 11

Cake mixes and most scratch bakers use double acting baking powder. What this means is that the baking powder is 1st activated when liquid is added, with a 2nd activation when heat is applied (during baking).

As a result, cake batter can sit without losing its ability to rise properly; it can also be refrigerated and/or frozen without losing its ability to rise properly. icon_smile.gif

Baking powder photos (by brand):
(As well as science of baking powder.)

http://tinyurl.com/2p7fd4

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%