Letting Batter Sit On The Counter?

Decorating By niccicola Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 6:04am by JanH

niccicola  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 11

Ok, so today is MAJOR baking day. I do it from home, so I only have one oven. I do this all the time, but I want to see what the opinions are.

For example-I am making a 6"x4" Red Velvet heart shape. Since the pan is so little, I split the batter into 1/3s. I have to wait until the first cake is done to cook the 2nd because I only have one pan.

The red velvet sits on the counter for 2 baking cycles before it's totally used up. Can there be any problems with doing this (as far as bacteria, etc.)

I do it all the time with no cake issues, and have not made anyone sick, but as I was waiting, I got to wondering about it.

Thanks.

10 replies
 brincess_b  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 11

i wouldnt be concerned about bacteria or anything (maybe you should be, i dont know, but i wouldnt b worried, lol), id be more worried about how the cake turns out cause the ingredients will have been reacting with each other for different lengths of time before getting baked. i havent done it often enough to notice a difference though. i take it you havent noticed any diference in how deep the cakes are, taste?
xx

PinkZiab  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 11

It's fine, but I would throw something over the top of the bowl, just to prevent anything from settling on top of the batter while it's waiting.

wildflower  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 11

heyy there
i just had to do that for a cake and it seemed fine to me when it came out baked[ mine sat for around an hour cuz there wasnt enough space left in the over for the next pan]
hth!

luvsfreebies72  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 11

I would throw it in the fridge in between baking cycles. I seem to remember reading once long ago that the cold helps slow the leavening reaction that happens when the liquid and leavening are mixed

elvis  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 11

I would put it in the fridge since it's an unknown and that's such an easy solution. That's what I do. And as a strange, unrelated side note... I've noticed that batter left in the fridge for several hours or overnight make cakes that are even more moist.

ptanyer  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 11

If I have a heavy decorating week planned I will make all my batters one night and store in the refrigerator. Then the next night make all the frostings/fillings, then bake the next night, and so on. I haven't noticed anything different about the cakes that I made using this method. I have also had batter sitting on the counter for hours and the cakes turned out just as nice as the first one I baked. I do put something over the bowl or put all the batter in storage containers to keep out little fingers! I have also frozen batter and that worked too! HTH icon_smile.gif

solascakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsfreebies72

I would throw it in the fridge in between baking cycles. I seem to remember reading once long ago that the cold helps slow the leavening reaction that happens when the liquid and leavening are mixed

I would stick them in the fridge,i do that all the time.

luvsfreebies72  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptanyer

If I have a heavy decorating week planned I will make all my batters one night and store in the refrigerator. Then the next night make all the frostings/fillings, then bake the next night, and so on. I haven't noticed anything different about the cakes that I made using this method. I have also had batter sitting on the counter for hours and the cakes turned out just as nice as the first one I baked. I do put something over the bowl or put all the batter in storage containers to keep out little fingers! I have also frozen batter and that worked too! HTH icon_smile.gif

hmmmm I might have to try this...

cylstrial  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:22am
post #10 of 11

I throw mine in the fridge with plastic wrap on top of it. I haven't had any trouble with it.

JanH  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:04am
post #11 of 11

Cake mixes and most scratch bakers use double acting baking powder. What this means is that the baking powder is 1st activated when liquid is added, with a 2nd activation when heat is applied (during baking).

As a result, cake batter can sit without losing its ability to rise properly; it can also be refrigerated and/or frozen without losing its ability to rise properly. icon_smile.gif

Baking powder photos (by brand):
(As well as science of baking powder.)

http://tinyurl.com/2p7fd4

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%