A Little Disappointed

Decorating By Alaskahsm Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 10:41pm by Alaskahsm

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 21

So I had a friend at church who is having a party for her daughter. I asked her if she needed someone to make the cake. She said yes and that she would pay me. I looked for a castle cake design and emailed her and told her that for that cake pros would charge 70.00, but because she was my friend I wouldn't charge her that much. She emailed me back and told me that she misunderstood and decided to have her friend make one instead. I think she was expecting to pay me maybe 10 or 20 for it. We really didn't even discuss how much I would charge her. I am wondering if her comment to pay me was off hand and when I gave her a price if it was a "oh she really does want me to pay her" kind of thing. I mean I did approach her, so I can understand that she would think I wouldn't charge her, but I am a bit disappointed I was looking forward to an excuse to make a castle cake. I know my hubby would not want me to make one, just because, maybe I'll make it for the fair. What do you think? Do you think I was wrong to try to charge her for it, because I approached her?

20 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 21

well, she did offer to pay for it. I think she either expected you to say oh no i'll take care of it. Or she expected to pay what she would pay at the grocery store. Or maybe her friend offer to do the cake for free.

Do i think you were wrong to expect payment, no not at all. You were just letting her know you were available to do the cake.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 21

Oi...I wouldn't have asked in the first place. Yikes!

SOULLA13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SOULLA13 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 21

of course you want to be paid for it, if its your work why would someone expect it to be for free!!! To me also it sounds like her friend has said she will make the cake as her gift fo her daughters birthday. But at the end of the day business is business, you are just promoting yourself and offering your services.

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 21

No, I don't think you were wrong at all. The more I do this, the more I realize that people expect an "Ace of Cakes" cake for $10. And even then, it had better feed 25 people! I also think that home bakers get this flack on a more regular basis, but then again, plenty of people expect a cakery to produce a carved replica of their first car for the same price as a frosted round at Wal-Mart, so we all get our fair share of this.

I've recently begun doing as indydebi suggested and leading the conversation in that direction myself so I can drop the bomb, "Did you know they charge a minimum of $1000 for their cakes?" It's amazing what that one little line can do. People are usually dumbfounded by that and then I can say, "Well, I don't charge nearly that much." It really can help to soften the blow!

We all work hard, and we deserve to get paid accordingly. I recently sold an 8" fondant-covered round for $55. I still feel guilty about the price, but that cake was over 5" tall, was completely from scratch, frosted with expensive homemade chocolate buttercream, and filled with from-scratch French custard. It was worth what I charged, and your cake was, too.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 21

I agree with Jamie on this one.

Here's my *Motto* take it for what it's worth..........."If I OFFER to make a cake for someone, then it's *free* (my gift to them)....If they ASK me to make a cake, then they pay for it (that's business)."

The longer you're in the cake business, the quicker you'll bite your tongue when you feel the urge to *offer a cake*.

To me the way I see your situation is.........you're "looking for an excuse to make a castle cake", that party was the perfect opportunity to make the cake the little girl's b-day gift.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

The longer you're in the cake business, the quicker you'll bite your tongue when you feel the urge to *offer a cake*.

Oh ain't that the truth. I don't even offer for practice anymore. I will practice, and then bring it to my '9 to 5' or serve it at dinner. I have successfully mangaed to avoid "friends of friends" and "the co-worker who barely says 2 words to me until they need a cake" that way...heh heh!

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 21

I dont think you were wrong at all for asking and expecting to be paid. You cant just go around giving freebies.... At least thats what I've learned here. icon_smile.gif

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 21

I agree that if you offer it's free if they ask they pay.... just be careful next time

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I agree with Jamie on this one.

Here's my *Motto* take it for what it's worth..........."If I OFFER to make a cake for someone, then it's *free* (my gift to them)....If they ASK me to make a cake, then they pay for it (that's business)."

I seriously love this quote, I saw it back when I first signed up here and its been stuck in my head ever since.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #11 of 21

If I offer, its almost always free (unless they hand me a gift)...but also I usually do my own design for the most part as well.

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:48pm
post #12 of 21

Don't feel bad. If someone had offered to make me a cake for a party, I would have assumed that they would expect payment. Usually people would rather pay a friend to do a cake than a complete stranger at a bakery.

But just to avoid future awkwardness, I would either let them be the first to mention it....or say, "if you would like to buy your cake from me... let me know!"-- :O) That way, no misunderstanding ;O)

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:49pm
post #13 of 21

It's this exact reason why I do what dkelly just described. I know it's tough, but just WAIT for them to ask you for the cake. Then you have the control in the situation. It took my family almost a year's worth of birthdays and celebrations to get the idea that if they want a cake from me, they have to ask for it. Now don't think I'm some kind of heartless person, my family is big and I work a stressful full time job. I don't have the time and money to be baking free cakes for every occasion. Now if I'm going to be paid for my efforts, that's another thing. . .

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:04pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Oi...I wouldn't have asked in the first place. Yikes!

You did nothing wrong,but don't offer a cake you're not ready to give out for free.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #15 of 21

you have two things i spose. you offered which yeah i would take as a so called "gift" but she also offered to "pay" so for that reason no you were not wrong on giving her a price. Its like all things if you dont want to hear a certain answer then dont ask it you know like "Do i look fat in this?" do we really want to hear "Yeah you do hunny sorry" no we would rather hear "dont be silly you look gorgeous".

I dont offer my cakes anymore but if i want to make one for a gift i just make it and take it to them when its needed that way no one feels uncomfortable. but if they ask me and offer to pay most times i give a discount to family and friends but not always been burnt there too. but that again is my choice.

so dont feel bad. I too have wanted to make a castle cake for years but neither one of my girls wanted one and i have only one niece grrrrr hehe but i have finally had an order for a castle cake YAY...

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:11pm
post #16 of 21

I also have to agree, I offer it is totally free, you ask that is business!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:16pm
post #17 of 21

I don't offer unless I intend to do if for free.If they inquire and approach me to do..I expect payment!!

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:25pm
post #18 of 21

Well I offer but I let you know immediately that it is for a price and so far its been okay cos there are no misconceptions from the onset.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm
post #19 of 21

I think wording is of much importance here. Instead of "Have you found someone to make your cake yet?" I would go with " Have you hired someone to make your cake yet?" At least that would make it clear that taking the offer means paying for the cake.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:36pm
post #20 of 21

I might add that alot of people say "Oh okay thanks, I'll pay" fully expecting you to say "Oh no that's okay" and they never really intended to pay in the first place.

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:41pm
post #21 of 21

Well, would have done it as a present for the girl, but we wern't invited to the party. Plus the fact that she said she would pay. Oh well, I'm not really upset about it, just a bit disappointed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%