Kentucky Derby Hat Cake

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 9:55pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 4

Hi! I have a request for a Kentucky derby hat cake... they said the other baker they talked to could only do it for 8-10 people. Of course I told them we could make it larger than question is this...the derby hats I saw online as far as cakes, they made the brim much smaller, but they were still very pretty. But the real hats have extremely wide and floppy brims.

I assume to make a very wide brim I'd have to use something non edible and cover with fondant...if that is the case....any suggestions? I would not want to risk using gumpaste and having it snap. My brain is thinking some sort of flexible but firm plastic...but that's as far as I get, nothing specific.

Or should I just artfully reduce the brim? I haven't seen the photos yet, she is going to send them to me.

3 replies
Kitagrl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 4

*Bumping this* ... Anyone?

Win Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 4

Hey there, Kitagirl! This is coming from the "horse's mouth" 'scuse the pun... I live in Louisville and know well the requirements of proper Derby attire. icon_lol.gif First, don't box yourself in by thinking that all Derby hats have extra large brims... yes, you are correct in stating the brims are large --the majority are; however, many are not. Truly, a Derby Hat is judged by the ornateness of the florals and overall design. I'm posting a link to our Derby coverage via local newspaper. It will give you a taste of how we locals get caught up in the whole event. Hats are a feature.

To translate a brim into cake making, I'd recommend a fondant brim cut to whatever size you desire then drying over gently rolled bubble wrap. This will give you the most 'flexibility' overall. I think you are wise not go go with gumpaste for fear of breakage.

I hope you have so much fun with this cake! We do love our Derby!

Kitagrl Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 4

Yay, a reply! Great, thanks! I have not seen the photos of what she wants yet, but will know better after I talk with her.

I definitely think the wider the brim, the more chance for either gumpaste or fondant to break. Either way I will have to make sure to make it weeks in advance for sure! I was hoping there was a non edible way to brace the brim a bit.

I notice alot of feathers and stuff.....I wonder if there is a way to make those edible? Anyway.... I will know more when I talk with them again, if I do....the girls are freaking out because my available consult date is "too late" for them.... so I encouraged them to email me all their photos and I'd take a look now, but haven't heard back. We'll see!

I think it will be a fun cake if it works out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%