Help On 3D Hello Kitty Cake

Decorating By pieceofcake20 Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 7:54pm by janelwaters

pieceofcake20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake20 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 13

I'm making a hello kitty cake and I'm worried about how to support her ginormous head. Can it all be cake or should I do the bottom portion out of foam? ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

12 replies
pieceofcake20 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 13

and what recipe cake would you recommend that i use to carve her from? Would a box mix be sturdy enough?

Mamacitadedos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamacitadedos Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 13

I take it you mean that your are wanting to make a 3d version of the kitty. I made a cake of her head using the LadyBug wilton pan. I'm currently at work so don't have the picture to upload but I will do it later today so you can see. The cake is covered in fondant and is made of a regular box mix. Unfortunetly I wouldn't know what to tell you for making a 3d version but am happy to share the one I made.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 13

I saw this one on here the other day, I am going to try this in September for my daughters b-day - maybe you can PM her to see how she did this an supported it etc.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1211110

totally adorable cake!!

Good luck!! make sure that you post pics with directions PLEASE!!

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 13

I would go with at least half the head being styrofoam. That's a huge head. Regular carved cake regardless of recipe is going to be too heavy. I would board and dowl under the head. Put the styro on top of that. Then drive skewers through the styro into the cak underneath and into the board for maximum stability. The put the cake on top of the styro and put a couple more skewers in place to secure it all. Then ice and fondant. At least 80% of the cake will be edible.

lisa5573 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa5573 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 13

I would suggust using styrofoam for the head. I'm thinking that if you use cake it would be too heavy.

For the cake, a box mix would probably be fine for the body, but if you do use it for the head I'd use a more dense cake. The recipes that have sour cream in them are a little more dense.

Be sure to post pics when you're done. I'd love to see it!

pieceofcake20 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 13

Silly question? Where do you usually get your styrofoam from? Does it come in blocks or sheets that you have to stack?

lisa5573 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa5573 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 13

They sell styrofoam in all shapes at the craft store, hobby lobby, michaels.

pieceofcake20 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 13

I'm from a small town. We have a Wal-Mart and it doesn't have a very good craft section. icon_sad.gif
The cake is this weekend.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 13

The person who did the picture that janelwaters post. She said she used rice krispes for the head.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 13

Yeah sugarcheryl,you beat me to it! I believe rice crispy treats will be lighter for the head cos I remember using cake for a 3D Barney head and it just kept compressing the body icon_lol.gif so I told myself it would be rice crispies next time!

pieceofcake20 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:01pm
post #12 of 13

When you make it out of rice krispies is it edible or does it dry too hard.?

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:54pm
post #13 of 13

you could also try this -

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=623004&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

I think this is what I'm going to do for mine - or I'm going to make my husband make me a PVC "stand" for mine so that it will be all cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%