Can I See Your Best Fundraiser Cake?

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 12:03am by cakesbykitty

Bellatheball Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 13

I'm thinking of donating a small cake or cookies for a church fundraiser. I'm not sure what types of cakes/cookies tend to bring in the most amount of money. Can you show me one that you've made with an idea of how much money it brought in? I'm trying to get lots of ideas. Thanks!

12 replies
Chef_Stef Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 13

Well, it wasn't a small cake in terms of time, but if you look in my pictures there's an Alladin style cake (sorta Margaret Braun style) that got them a LOT of money. I also did a couple of Colette knockoffs in 8" round that might still be in there; they both went for about $85 or so, as I recall.

Good luck!

Gloria72777 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 13

This was my first fondant cake and I made it for my daughter's school PTO. It was a raffle cake. $1.00 to enter the raffle. It raised over $100.00
LL
LL

janelwaters Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 13

Is it for an auction? I have done this a couple times, but I usually donate a gift certificate which brings in more money than a baked cake - that way they can get it when they want it and pick the flavors etc.

My last cake (up to a $250 value) brought in $200 for the charity. The lady called and wants a graduation cake for her daughter which if I charged - would have probably only cost her about $100.

pattycakesnj Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 13

I recently donated 2 cookies baskets for my daughters school's fundraiser. I did one with all princess type cookies and one sports themed. The princess basket was a huge hit. For the church, you could do cookie basket of doves, church (there is a great church cookie cutter at coppergifts.com, just copy it, make template and hand cut the cookie) crosses, etc. Cookies to me are easier and I don't have to worry about spoilage etc. but that is just me.

Alicia0620 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 13

I did a small Easter basket cake and it brought in $60! It's in my photos.

Jenthecakelady Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 13

My son's school does a fundraiser in the fall so I've done a lot of 8" fall/halloween themed cakes. My best advice would be simple and cute and go with the season-bright, spring colors, flowers, etc. Use techniques that are easy, but look great.

You could also do cupcake bouquets. These are really popular right now and so cute. People really seem to love them.

RandomCakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 13

I saw a story last year or the year before with some kids (around 10-12 yrs old) who raised thousands (don't remember the exact amount, but it was at least in the $10,000) doing bake sales in the summer. They found that for the same amount of effort and price, they could make brownies instead of cookies. Brownies they could charge 4X as much as the cookies. They then took the profits and bought coats for the warm coats drive Good Morning America does every winter.

Thought it was interesting.

cakesbykitty Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 13

the castle cake, that is my avatar, was donated for a fundraiser for the cub scouts. Now that i own a shop we are asked for donations all the time. we do cakes and gift certificates.

tcakes65 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 13

I donated two cakes for a recent fundraiser at my daughter's school. I did an ipod and a purse, which brought in $300 combined. I did sculpted cakes only because it was a good opportunity for me to practice. A majority of the donated cakes at the event were 10" dessert cakes with minimal decorations. They brought in between $30 and $75 each. Most people will be interested in dessert type cakes so I suggest going with a simple design and flavors with a "wow" factor.

Bellatheball Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks so much to all of you for the replies. All of your cakes are beautiful (Chef Steph, I couldn't find yours!) Interesting that brownies bring in more money. It makes sense though.

I love the idea of doing a purse cake but it'd be my first one...maybe that's too much pressure. I like the idea of doing a really great flavor in a simple cake with some spring flowers.

Thanks so much and keep the suggestions coming.

Goonergirl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:14pm
post #12 of 13

I did a small gumball machine cake for a fundraiser recently (in my pics). It was very popular with the kids because it had gum AND cake. Does it get any better than that when you're a kid?

cakesbykitty Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:03am
post #13 of 13

firsts on a donation cake... i can relate to that pressure! that was my first castle and i am doing my first 3D car in 2 weeks to donate to an Elvis themed fundraiser. Pink cadillac of course icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%