Yomomma Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 11

I can't remember if I read this technique here or not but can a
frosting sheet be placed over a picture,
trace the picture with edible markers,
then traced image be piped/flooded w/ color flow, royal or bc,
dried,
placed on bc cake?
Are the frosting sheets transparent enough to see through - to trace?
Possible or no?

10 replies
Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 11

I'm not sure what a frosting sheet is....is it an edible paper, used on bottom of macaroons or so? If so, funny you ask, I am getting ready to try this next project....it would make it easier for setting on the cake. My only real fear is that the moisture in the paper would cause it to bubble & be uneven. But, I'm gonna try - will report back! Good to you!! thumbs_up.gif

Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 11

where are you buying your frosting sheets from. I have never heard of this but would also like to try it.

Sue

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 11

In response to your question, I've never tried it, but I would think the frosting sheet would become brittle and shatter during the process.

My question is, why add the frosting sheet? Just cover your picture with a piece of plastic cling wrap (Saran) and pipe/flood directly onto it. Then, just peel away the plastic when the piece is dry.

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 11

Frosting sheets are not thin and you can't see through them. You can draw on them with edible markers and place it on the cake and then fill in. You could probably do color flow on it and let it dry but why not just do a color flow on wax paper? Wafer paper is thin and can be seen through. You can put your image under the wafer paper and trace around it. You can then put it on your cake and fill in.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 11

Yeah,I'm not sure about the frosting sheet either. I did the frozen buttercream transfer, which is similar to what you are talking about. There's a link with instructions in the article section. It's really easy..you just use wax paper, outline and color in. Stick it in the freezer, then pop it on your cake. Good luck, and maybe someone else can help you in regards to the frosting sheet!

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 11

These are the frosting sheets used in edible image printing like at KopyKake.

I think the reasoning behind it was that it made the piece more stable when transfering to the cake?
But maybe it softens up (the frosting sheet) and is no value after all? I don't know??

Yomomma Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_to_decorate

Frosting sheets are not thin and you can't see through them. You can draw on them with edible markers and place it on the cake and then fill in. You could probably do color flow on it and let it dry but why not just do a color flow on wax paper? Wafer paper is thin and can be seen through. You can put your image under the wafer paper and trace around it. You can then put it on your cake and fill in.

ugh, okay, if you can't see through them, then that rules that out. Maybe it was wafer paper originally discussed. Where do I find wafer paper? I have already ordered the frosting sheets tho - maybe I can still use it with my kopykake projector.

Scratch Plan A - now on to Plan B...

Yomomma Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 11

Plan B...

I'll just have to purchase an Epson printer & edible ink, just so I don't let those frosting sheet go to waste icon_biggrin.gif

Think hubby will buy that justification? icon_rolleyes.gif

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:41pm
post #10 of 11

Rice paper is thin enough to trace on. But frosting sheets are not. If I am in a jam and need a specific drawing I print it like a coloring page and put it on a cake and ice directly on it. You have a perfect drawing then.

I have even used a fancy hole punch on them to make a lace design to lay on cakes.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 11

Ive done frosting sheets before and everyone is right, YOU CAN NOT SEE through them, I was told it would be easy...you can barely see, and that was with me taping it on the window after it was cleaned real good!!
It was very hard to trace onto it, and then you have to seal it up in between all that so it doesnt dry out. or it will crack, which mine did.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%