Need Advice...just Got New Oven

Decorating By strawberrygirl Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 11:10am by marcimang

strawberrygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberrygirl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 5

I just got a new oven that has a convection option on it. I heard it was great for cookies but not for cakes. I don't really know anything about using a convection oven. Any advice would be very appreciated. icon_confused.gif

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:19am
post #2 of 5

A convection oven balances the heat thru the oven with a fan. Many times it is very powerful.......it could blow the batter out of the pans! icon_sad.gif
You will have to figure out how powerful yours is by using it. I think the bigger pans would fare better than say a 6"er.

strawberrygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberrygirl Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:41am
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much. They tell you these things are great in the store but don't really tell you much of anything else.

cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:06am
post #4 of 5

On the topic of ovens I was wondering if anyone out there uses a fan forced oven?
Any tips on how to keep getting moist cakes other than turning down the heat?
I have moved address and gee do I miss my oven and really cannot get the hang of this fan forced oven at all. It is really causing me great greif as I cannot produce the same cakes as I used to. TIA

marcimang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcimang Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 11:10am
post #5 of 5

I use my convection for all my cakes and I think it works great- cooks faster. It does take some getting used too. I did find it gives my cakes a crispier edge so I just use a bread knife to get rid of that. I use all size pans and never had a problem, I have a Samsung oven- hth and happy baking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%