How To Cut Out A Number 18 Cake?

Decorating By aminaz Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 3:11pm by 2txmedics

aminaz Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 5

ive been asked to do a number 18 cake to feed 15 people. i don't have number pans so i'm going to have to cut it out myself.
my question is:
how do i cut out the number 1 and 8? what pans do i use?
what size cake pans do i use so that i end up with a cake to fit 15 people and not 50?! icon_biggrin.gif
hope someone can help!

4 replies
Mencked Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 5

I would begin with sheet cakes and cut your numbers out of them. There will be a lot of wasted cake, but that's why cake balls were invented! You can sketch out the 1 and the 8 or enlarge fonts on your computer and then enlarge again on a copier if you want them exact. Trace onto wax paper or parchment paper, cut out, place on cake (I pin them down with T pins), then carve around them, frost and decorate.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 5

Use 2 4 inch rounds (3in deep) for the 8, just cut a bit off from each to make a flat piece to join together. Then bake a 8in square (1 1/2 in deep) and cut in two and stack for the 1. It will give you 16ish servings and no wasted cake. Hope that helps!

KatieKake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 5

Well first off, you have to charge for the size cake you start with, which for me would probably be at least an 11 x 15. I don't think it would be too hard to do. I would probably go to my computer and find a font I liked and print out the numbers one and eight, on separate sheets of paper for a pattern. You can mark off the pieces of cake on the paper, to make sure you have the right size for your numbers. When you get to that point, cut out the number, put it on the cake and cut out you number from the pattern.

2txmedics Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 5

Had this in my favorites...shows how to use cakes to cut out your numbers:

Quote by @%username% on %date%