Not Enough Fondant!!! Any Ideas?

Decorating By SweetResults Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 7:18pm by sadsmile

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 10

I have to make a cake today for an adult first communion. I was going to do an 8" square, very simple white fondant covered, elegant design. I forgot to order more fondant and I will not quite have enough to cover the whole cake. I have other colors, but I'm not sure I like the idea of other colors, I do have yellow, green, etc...

Any thoughts on what I can do on the sides if I cover the cake as much as I can with fondant? And I have never had luck making it, so that's not really a great option for me.

GRRRRR! Off to order more now so this does not happen again.

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 10

Mix what you have with a bit of yellow to give you a soft yellow.I think that would be okay for an adult Communion.At least it's not pink!!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 10

Can you go out and pick up a small pack of *gag* Wilton to help stretch your fondant? You can add a drop of antido... I mean... clear vanilla to mask any ickiness that may try to seep in. Desperate times call for desperate measures!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 10

Actually a light bulb just went off in my head - RIBBON! I think I have some wide ribbon that I can use to go around the edge of the cake that is not covered enough. Gonna go through my ribbon bin now...

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 10

Ice it all in BC and then use fondant for the decorations?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Can you go out and pick up a small pack of *gag* Wilton to help stretch your fondant? You can add a drop of antido LOLOLOLOL!... I mean... clear vanilla to mask any ickiness that may try to seep in. Desperate times call for desperate measures!

I can't believe I am going to admit this. Ok, here goes. Very recently.....I had to stretch out the amount of MFF I had. I had a huge tub-o-fondant (Wilton) fr accents and dummy covering.....I mixed in some of that. ((((nooooooooooooooo!)))). Yes I did. And no one was the wiser. icon_biggrin.gif Go figure! It was an emergency, I was not going to make more MFF.....bah, tasted fine! icon_rolleyes.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 10

Antido...Huh? what does that mean? Even google is confused and says artifitial language...? Ido..?

detective.gif Trying but I just don't get it. Can somebody clue me in, send me a map cause I am lost again!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 10

Antidote...hee hee!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Antido...Huh? what does that mean? Even google is confused and says artifitial language...? Ido..?

detective.gif Trying but I just don't get it. Can somebody clue me in, send me a map cause I am lost again!

Sorry. That was my tortured attempt at humor. It's the word "antidote", but I cut myself off in the middle as if I didn't mean to say that word. Get it? I guess I'd better keep my day job! icon_redface.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 10

Ahhhh! ROFLMBO!!! I get it now!!! Very funny!!! Yeah that stuff is like poison!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%