I Need A Plan. Can Anyone Please Guide Me?

Decorating By Rylan Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 1:38pm by Rylan

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone. First of all, I want to thank everyone for having the time to view this.

My brother's birthday party is coming up and I need a plan. There will be a lot going on that day and I was hoping to do things ahead. I am planning for a 6 tier cake, 14 inch round as it's base. I need some time management advice. Hopefully someone can help.

The party is coming soon and I wanted to start baking as soon as possible. I am going to be using the original WASC recipe (thanks kekeladi) and I am planning on freezing them. I've done my research on freezing and I will be wrapping each and every cake with layers of plastic wrap, then put it in a a ziploc bag (foil for big cakes).

Here are the steps I have currently planned:

DAY 1------- Bake cakes, cool, level, freeze

DAY 2------ Bake and freeze other pastries

DAY 3------ Bake and freeze other pastries

DAY 4------ Make Gumpaste figures

DAY 5------ Make Gumpaste figures

DAY 6 evening------ Defrost cakes

DAY 7------ Torte cakes, add stiff dam, add buttercream filling, let it settle (several hours), crumbcoat

DAY 8------ Lay fondant, bake cheesecake (this is a different dessert)

DAY 9 early in the morning------ Defrost pastries, Decorate cheesecake, Add gumpaste decoration on fondant cake

DAY 10 early in the morning/party------ finish/decorate fresh desserts, cut pastries, I should have a complete cake.

Am I on the right track? what is your revision? Am I doing things right? Will my cakes dry out? Any advice and tips? THANKS A LOT.

4 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 5

You can eliminate days 4 and 5 by making your gumpaste work now. You can do gumpaste really early and then it has PLENTY of time to dry - then you could move everything else up a day and be done the night before the party or give yourself some room for mistakes (which happen to me on every cake!).

Just my suggestion - It lokks like you have everything planned out well!

Rylan Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Janelwaters for the reply I really really appreciate it. Do you think RKT will stay fresh once I make them a week ahead? I am planning on making the gumpaste figures as soon as possible but some of the thing's I would need is still on the way here. How long can I have my cake sitting on the counter? What is your personal experience? Because I want to make sure everthing doesn't get bad.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 5

I don't like to freeze my cakes, but I've never made one as big as you are - so in your case I would definately bake ahead and freeze - I usually try to decorate the night before and provided the fillings don't need to be chilled I leave on the counter (covered) overnight OR I leave decorated in the fridge overnight.

I'm not sure if I answered your question or not - anyway - I hope this helps - if you do your gumpaste work ahead I think you will free up a ton of time for yourself!

Rylan Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks. I will definitely start on my gumpaste figures once I get my stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%