20 Servings But Two Tiers?

Decorating By ljhow623 Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 6:50am by xstitcher

ljhow623 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 8

My daughter is getting married next week. It's a very small wedding - 20 people max. I want to do a tiered cake, it has to travel 2 1/2 hours though. What size cakes would you make for the tiers? The shape is open so what ever I decide. It will be Buttercream frosting with fondant accents of flowers.

Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance.

7 replies
bashini Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 8

As per the serving guide below, you can do a 7" and a 5". OR you can use a dummy for the bottom tier and keep the top tier cake. If you are doing that way, take a 12" dummy for the bottom tier and an 8" for the top.

Justbeck101 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 8

You could do an 8" and 5", that is 21 by Earlene's serving chart. It really depends on the serving chart, but when someone orders that amount of servings form me, I use an 8" and 5". It looks pretty. I don't like working with smaller sizes than 5" unless I have to. I think by wiltons chart it is a bit more servings.

bisbqueenb Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 8

Sounds like it is just a family affair.....and I wouldn't worry about # of servings! Just make what you like and save the leftovers for later! You could make the bottom layer a single 2"layer split and filled, and the top layer 4" filled. I do this a lot when I only need a small number of servings and the cake looks very nice.

sahrow Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 8

For a family cake... I agree with not worrying about servings. Make what you want and have a beautiful, tasty cake!

I also like the dummy idea, which will give the illusion of a nice big cake without all the leftovers.

If it was my child getting married, there would be one awesome cake!

cylstrial Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 8

Since it's family and friends, I would say everyone would be more than happy to eat the extra's. Good luck with the wedding!

JanH Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:44am
post #7 of 8
xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 6:50am
post #8 of 8

Gotta agree about the family affair bit and having left overs. If you don't want to much of left overs I would go with the 8/5 or even a 9/6 and your and your daughter could save the top tier for later (freeze it).

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%