20 Servings But Two Tiers?

Decorating By ljhow623 Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 1:07pm by djs328

ljhow623 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 20

My daughter is getting married next week. It's a very small wedding - 20 people max. I want to do a tiered cake, it has to travel 2 1/2 hours though. What size cakes would you make for the tiers? The shape is open so what ever I decide. It will be Buttercream frosting with fondant accents of flowers.

Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance.

19 replies
patticakesnc Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 20

I like the look of 12 and 8 square. That is what I did in my baby shower pic in my pics.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:17pm
post #3 of 20

If you want nice sized pieces (and hey, you're not charging for it so who cares if it's not regulation wedding pieces?!), I suggest a 5 & 7in round or a 6 & 8in round (but that's a little on the big side unless you LOVE cake!). Hope that helps.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

I like the look of 12 and 8 square. That is what I did in my baby shower pic in my pics.

Cute cake! But even cutting it party-size, that's more than 3 times the amount of cake the OP needs icon_wink.gif

BCo Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 20

You could do a 9inch and a 6 inch. That would give you about 30 servings. Or a 10 inch and a 6 inch and just serve the bottom tier and let the newlyweds keep the top 6 inch. Or if they don't want to keep the top tier just slice it up and give it to some of the guests to take home!

learnincakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:21pm
post #6 of 20

How about using some dummys for additional tiers. Even if you did a 6 and 8, then 10" dummy.

jammjenks Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdelapaz

How about using some dummys for additional tiers. Even if you did a 6 and 8, then 10" dummy.

This is what I'd do. I love the look of bigger cakes and dummies are great for adding height w/o having to worry about dowels and such. They're pretty cheap too.

BCo Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:26pm
post #8 of 20

Sorry - you said you needed 20 servings - I had in my mind 30 servings!!! Anyway - I would see if the newlyweds would like to keep the top tier and then just go with a 9 inch base and use that tier to serve the guests. Heck - if anyone at a wedding asked if I wanted to take home some leftover cake I would jump on it!! Load me up!! It always seems like by the time I get home from a wedding and I'm relaxing I always think about how I would like to have another piece of cake!! LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Since it's not that many guests I would find some really pretty boxes and take some nice satin ribbon and then box up a slice for each guest as you're cutting it, tiei t up with a bow and give them that whent they leave.

Just a thought!

Or a dummy cake would work too! icon_smile.gif

JenWhitlock Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:26pm
post #9 of 20

I use Earlene's serving chart (which is less than Wiltons)
http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm
I would do a 6/8 round. (serves 23)
if you wanted to go smaller, I've done a 5/7" round (serves 16)
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1225121
I also did a small three tier topsy-turvy - you could do it straight....
it was 3/5/7 (serves ~20) [I actually bought the Wilton 4" spring form pans, because they were deeper, and cut it down]
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1331476

as for the travel, I just bought the SPS stuff, and used it on my last two cakes. it is as great as they say. so I would recomend that.

djs328 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:28pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdelapaz

I would probably do a dummy on the bottom and cake on top...or if you do 2 tiers of cake, you can serve the bottom tier and save the top for the 1st anniversary! icon_smile.gif

As for traveling with it, I'd assemble on site if you can...if not, dowel it for sure! icon_smile.gif good luck!

icon_smile.gif

ljhow623 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:34pm
post #11 of 20

Thanks everyone. No they won't be saving the top tier so it will all get eaten. I think I have decided to go with 6" and 8" round.

JanH Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:43am
post #12 of 20

For additional responses, please see duplicate post:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625923-.html

HTH

xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:08am
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljhow623

Thanks everyone. No they won't be saving the top tier so it will all get eaten. I think I have decided to go with 6" and 8" round.

If you go by the Wilton serving chart than the 8" alone will have enough servings. Do you already have pans at home. If so maybe you could stack those up and see what "look" you like better. 2" difference will give you a 1" ledge all around the base of the 6" cake by the time you add your icing it will be much smaller. Where are you planning on placing the fondant flowers? You might want to go with a 8/5" just to give you a little more room (depending on your design of course). If you don't have any of the pans and there is a cake supply store near by maybe you could go there and stack the pans up to see what look you like better.

Good luck and congrats on your DD's wedding!

CakeDiva73 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:19am
post #14 of 20

I just made a two tiered for my daughters birthday party and I did an 8 inch with a 5 inch on top. I think it looked well balanced and was small enough. Granted, it could feed far more than 20 but we had 9 in the house and it was gone in 24 hours.

How neat is that - you making your daughters wedding cake! I can't wait. My little ones are only 8, 9 & 12 but they are already talking about what cake they want Mom' to make for their wedding. I sort of thought they would think it was dorky to have me making their wedding cakes (I, of course think it rocks!) but apparently so do they because they were having a hot fit when I asked if they wouldn't rather go to a bakery, which made my day.

xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:23am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

How neat is that - you making your daughters wedding cake! I can't wait. My little ones are only 8, 9 & 12 but they are already talking about what cake they want Mom' to make for their wedding. I sort of thought they would think it was dorky to have me making their wedding cakes (I, of course think it rocks!) but apparently so do they because they were having a hot fit when I asked if they wouldn't rather go to a bakery, which made my day.

That's too funny! I was just picturing all 3 of them having fits. I only have one DD and I'm hoping she lets me make her's when she gets married too. I won't ask her yet as I'm sure she won't remember by the time she's old enough to get married (she just turned 3 a few weeks ago icon_lol.gif )

I can just imagine you planning it out already!

CakeDiva73 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:30am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

ahh, but the secret to keep them wanting me to make the cake is assuring them that I will make it whatever way they like. Hence, no Momzilla syndrome, lol. Sadly, we watch way too much semi-reality tv in this house so between Bridezilla and Sweet 16, they are all too familiar with party tantrums. icon_smile.gif

oh, but wait....that doesn't mean they would act like brats either, I just meant I wouldn't run roughshod over the whole thing trying to re-create my dream wedding. To be honest, it's weird because I was never one of those little girls who were planning their wedding when they were young. It just never interested me. And we eloped (more or less) went to Tahoe, some family was there but I would hardly call the dinner we had at Ceaser's buffet a 'reception'.

(can't believe I just copped to that!)

xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:35am
post #17 of 20
Quote:

To be honest, it's weird because I was never one of those little girls who were planning their wedding when they were young. It just never interested me. And we eloped (more or less) went to Tahoe, some family was there but I would hardly call the dinner we had at Ceaser's buffet a 'reception'.

(can't believe I just copped to that!)

Me neither! I was actually more of a Tomboy. Wanting to do whatever my older brother was doing. My wedding was also really intimate. My brother's on the other hand had almost 1000 in attendance. Needless to say it took some time finding a place that could accomodate them and the cost to my parents was enormous. They've been married for 10 years now and I think my mom and dad are probably still in debt from it. I eloped (more or less) just like you and was several thousand miles from home with a few friends around. Although my parents did have a 2nd wedding for me almost 5 years later. They wanted to make it really big, I convinced them to just have family there. I think there were still about 100 of us there....

CakeDiva73 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:42am
post #18 of 20
Quote:

My brother's on the other hand had almost 1000 in attendance.

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif holy cow. I don't even know 1000 people..... that is the biggest wedding I have ever heard of!

xstitcher Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 7:50am
post #19 of 20
Quote:

Quote:

My brother's on the other hand had almost 1000 in attendance.

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif holy cow. I don't even know 1000 people..... that is the biggest wedding I have ever heard of!

Yeah our folks (namely my Dad) knows a lot of people and when we throw weddings they're all invited too. It's not just for the couple. I think my brother and sil's friends probably added up to only about 1-200 people. The other 200 was probably easily family (just on our side - mom and dad's). When we invite someone there whole family is invited. So it adds up quickly.

That's probably why I eloped icon_lol.gif !

djs328 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 1:07pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:

That's too funny! I was just picturing all 3 of them having fits. I only have one DD and I'm hoping she lets me make her's when she gets married too. I won't ask her yet as I'm sure she won't remember by the time she's old enough to get married (she just turned 3 a few weeks ago icon_lol.gif )

LOL! Just for fun I just asked DD (almost 3) if she is going to let me make her wedding cake when she grows up...she replied, "Yes, a Pinkalicious cake!" HAHA! And DS (5) chimed in, "Mommy, I want an orange wedding cake!" His future bride may have other plans, but who am I to burst his bubble?! Too funny!!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%