Shopping List

Business By Sabz Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 1:48pm by Sabz

Sabz Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:02am
post #1 of 17

I live in UK, and I dont find decorating and baking things very readily (unless I buy online which means everytime I need something I have to pay £5 extra for delivery, with which I could buy something else!)
A friend of mine is travelling to USA soon, so I'm giving her a comprehensive shopping list!
But I can't choose between:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=52538051-802D-F658-0A8270D4F8DBD7B6&killnav=1
and:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=BA23EDC2-802D-F658-0457DE1C665B1CA4&killnav=1
And because I'm only just starting out cake decorating, what other decorating stuff do you guys invest in?
I've already got a few things like:piping tips,a few gumpaste flower cutters,gumpaste tools,crimpers,beadmaker,flower formers, a few tints and colour pastes,cookie cutters.
There's probably soo much I can get, but any other essentials?

16 replies
Sabz Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:06am
post #2 of 17

Oops, I didnt realise I posted this thread in the wrong section..is that OK or can I move it?

EnjoyTheCake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:35am
post #3 of 17

The embosser is used for freehand cut outs or odd shapes. The ribbon cutter is really only used if you are cutting strips of fondant.

You can also use a pastry wheel or pizza cutter instead of the embosser.

hope that helps.

brincess_b Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:40am
post #4 of 17

i think both products do quite different things. but if i had to pick one, id say the second.
if you want a post moved, i think you can pm one of the moderators, and they can do it.
the way i look at delivery is.... the difference in price between buying a couple of small items in a local store vs online actually covers the cost of delivery. so on balance, it still works out cheaper buying online, even though i do hate that postage charge too!
xx

tiggy2 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 17

The Wilton ribbon cutter is a complete waste of money. You'd be much better off with a small pizza cutter. A lot of the Wilton products are inferior and IMO worthless. There have been many threads about their products and most people have the same opinion. Will your friend be able to shop at any cake supply stores? If so CK, PME, and FM products are so much better then Wilton.

SweetSweetCreations Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 17

I have both. The first one I hate I can't get it to do anything I need it to do. The smaller one I use occasionally but I don't really care for it either.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabz

I'm only just starting out cake decorating, what other decorating stuff do you guys invest in?
I've already got a few things like:piping tips,a few gumpaste flower cutters,gumpaste tools,crimpers,beadmaker,flower formers, a few tints and colour pastes,cookie cutters.
There's probably soo much I can get, but any other essentials?

Do you plan to do mostly buttercream, fondant, gumpaste, cookies, cakes... the list really depends on what you are anticipating to do.

Sabz Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 17

Thanks, for the advice everyone. tiggy2, I've always thought of Wilton as THE decorating suppliers. I guess I should look at other places too!
EnjoyTheCake, I sound all over the place don't I. Tell you the truth, I want to work with all of that! Maybe not so much on cookies, but just decorating cakes in different styles. I like working with buttercream, fondant and gumpaste equally.
I've seen quite a few cakes with a diamond design around the sides, with dragees on intersecting points. I thought those designs were made with that embosser/cutter. Thats mainly one of the reasons I wanted one.
And what about the roll and cut mat. Reckon that's a good buy?

indydebi Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

The Wilton ribbon cutter is a complete waste of money. You'd be much better off with a small pizza cutter.

The timing on this thread is so funny! I had a free afternoon so I played with fondant to see what kind of cool stuff I could do, and this tool is one of the things I pulled out to play with. I was feeling pretty stupid because I just couldn't figure out how the dang thing was suppose to work to make those cool looking ribbions. I spent more time taking it apart and putting those little disks on that I did playing with my fondant!

Glad to hear it's not just me.

Sabz Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:01pm
post #10 of 17

Lol, indydebi. That's made my mind up for me! Simple pizza cutter it is!

EnjoyTheCake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:07pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:

Thanks, for the advice everyone. tiggy2, I've always thought of Wilton as THE decorating suppliers. I guess I should look at other places too!

Wilton has some really great tools. I'm a huge fan of them, but not everything Wilton is great. They are however very accessible and available nearly everywhere.

Quote:

I've seen quite a few cakes with a diamond design around the sides, with dragees on intersecting points. I thought those designs were made with that embosser/cutter. Thats mainly one of the reasons I wanted one.
And what about the roll and cut mat. Reckon that's a good buy?

The diamond pattern can be done a few different ways. You can use your spatula edge and make the indentation. Also use the spatula to get the width even. Or you can purchase a diamond impression mat. You can seem them here.

The roll and cut mat from wilton is nice because it has large circles to help you roll fondant out for covering round cakes. It also has 1" marks on it for cutting ribbons, squares, or anything else that needs measuring. However any piece of vinyl will work the same way. Pastry mats work well also.

The Wilton cake dividing set is also very useful if you do a lot of garland work or just need to divide your round cakes evenly around.

I think the best investment I have made personally is my 8"x3" pan. I use this for just about everything instead of a sheet cake for small parties. I also love my books. I often check ebay to find older boos since i'm a huge fan of buttercream I love the inspirations and tricks these older books offer.

I'll add more to my thoughts if something comes to mind.

Sabz Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:53am
post #12 of 17

The impression mat sounds like a better idea, since I can't imagine myself getting the shapes accurately freehand. I agree with you on the books, and I'd love to get hold of gumpaste flower DVDs too! (if only I could afford them icon_sad.gif )
I didn't even know about pastry mats, if they are cheaper then Wiltons' I'll go for that one.

ngfcake Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:40am
post #13 of 17

For the diamond pattern you could use patchwork cutters. They are widely available in the UK (and not as expensive as a mat). http://www.patchworkcutters.co.uk/catalogue_details.asp?product_id=29&group=0 (Available in most sugarcraft stores).

If you buy many items at one time, the P&P is not very high, as most of the items are very light. Many of the most widely used sugarcraft items are made in the UK, for example PME, CelCrafts.

It's true that you can't find everything here (I wish I could find some Magic Line pans, SPS, an Agbay and some very specific first impression moulds), but I'm very happy with the assortment of equipment I can find here.

Edited to say: where it says blocked it means SuG aR cRa ft (I don't really know why it's blocked)

miss_sweetstory Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:41am
post #14 of 17

The FMM ribbon cutter is really good.
http://www.intotheoven.com/p1354/FMM-Multi-Ribbon-Cutter/product_info.html

You can find them here in the UK for between 9-10 GBP.

The things I can't live without are my 20" rolling pin ($19.99 in the US, 19.99 GBP in UK), my thickness spacers and my clay extruder.
http://www.makinsclay.com/Israel/eng/products/ultimate.htm (which I strongly prefer over the sug ar craft style gun used by Lindy and others).

I also LOVE my 14 1/2" wooden turntable.

solascakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:29am
post #15 of 17

Hello Sabz,i think as all we new cake devorators have the tendency to just buy buy buy,both the ones we need and the one's we want,we'll probably only use once or twice or never and then realise a simple fork,spoon knife,ruler could have done the job nicely.The key is to find the stuff you absolutely cannot live without.For me its my turntable and long rolling pin,i have a lot of stuff i didn't even know i had hence never used.Good luck.

Sabz Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:47pm
post #16 of 17

Thanks ngfcake and miss_sweetstory. I'll keep that in mind. A long rolling pin is also on my list! solascakes, you're so right. I've already spent soo much money and I still have the urge to get more stuff. Even though deep down I know I could live without quite a few things! I think its all this excitement about finding a new hobby.
I've never really been interested in something before. I've realised recently,decorating just gives me that adrenaline rush! But yes, I'm gonna have to control my urges...for my wallets' sake!

Sabz Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:48pm
post #17 of 17

Ladies, what about Wiltons' Lily Nail set; is there an alternative or are these essential to make flowers? And would I need different leaf veiners for different types, or is there one available that's used for many?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%