Chocolate Molds (Newbiw Needs Help)

Sugar Work By letem_eat_cakes Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 10:40pm by underthesun

letem_eat_cakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:13am
post #1 of 5

okay, i am getting married in september and i have decided i want to make chocolate candy molds for the favors for everyone. how far in advance can i make the chocolates? can they be made a couple of weeks in advance and frozen?

4 replies
cakecookie6 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:09am
post #2 of 5

They can be made at least two weeks ahead of time. No need to freeze. Just make them up, package them, then store them in a dry-odor-free place.

mirda6275 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:24am
post #3 of 5

I actually went to a candy making class last fall and I was told that I could make anything but chocolate covered cherries months ahead of time and keep them out of direct sunlight/temperature changes, away from pets, weird smells etc. for a few months. I made a variety of filled chocolates, peanut butter cups, buckeyes etc. for my family for Christmas presents last year and I started at the beginning of November and they were fine almost 2 months later.

I just found my handout from the class and they said that they can be kept for 3-4 months in an airtight container in a cool place, but not the refrigerator.

Hope this helps! What kind of chocolates are you going to make as favors?

letem_eat_cakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:59am
post #4 of 5

thanks so much. i will probably make them around the middle of August.
i have a couple different kinds of molds. one says Thank You, one is hearts and one has wedding bells on it. i am thinking of doing one of each for each favor.

underthesun Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 5

My husband is a self-taught chocolatier. He has done several weddings and has a small tempering machine. Anyhow, he has found that the wine coolers, now found everywhere, are the perfect temperature for tempered chocolates. They can be adjusted. Just thought, with so many people owning their own wine coolers now, you might have one. As long as you're not making cream based fillings, you should be okay for a few weeks. Definitely keep them out of the fridge, it will make them sweat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%