Wants To Just Buy The Toppers?

Business By yelle66 Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 4:35am by Ariginal

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:42am
post #1 of 7

I just got an email from someone just wanting me to make some toppers for cakes. How do I proceed? Do I ask what it is for or do I say no. I usually tell people that I don't do cakes for events where there will be other cakes there, but what about this?

Not really sure how to proceed. I've never had so many questions I don't know how to answer in one night icon_wink.gif

TIA!

6 replies
JenniferHeath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferHeath Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:52am
post #2 of 7

What type of toppers are they wanting? They probably want to decorate a cake without having to do the hard work!!

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:59am
post #3 of 7

go for it.. as i see it its extra income.. i get requests all the time for my toppers and flowers and to me an order is an order and you still get noticed too.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:02am
post #4 of 7

I would do it, but I would charge a lot.

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:04am
post #5 of 7

I'm assuming fondant toppers. What do I charge? I've not ever charged for fondant toppers (except what I work into a price for a cake). One of them is a Dr. Seuss-type hat and the other is a small elephant. Kind of strange.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:10am
post #6 of 7

I don't see why not, I saw a website once of someone who made wedding toppers (figures) out of that polymer clay...looked just like fondant, although of course more permanent.

I'd charge about the same as the polymer clay people charge.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:35am
post #7 of 7

i charge what i feel i want to charge... as alot of work goes into them if they find it to expensive they wont order but alot of the time it is because my toppers have been my original designs and not seen anywhere ie in polymur clay or alike or even in toy form... is hard to give you price to what i charge due to exchange rate hehe sorry.. but in NZ dollars i charge about $60 for a bride and groom no plaque, $70 with , my quad bike with couple $80-$90 flowers are different again. hope that helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%