How To Salvage Crusty Cake?

Decorating By Redlotusninjagrl Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 11:58am by poohsmomma

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:59am
post #1 of 7

I used bake-easy strips. I baked at a low temp. Is there anything I can do to keep my edges from being hard as a rock once it comes out? Like could I brush on some simple syrup around the edges after it comes out of the oven? Or will the buttercream soften the edges as it sits? I can't make another one so it is what it is. If you have some tips for preventing this in the future, I'd love that too. I baked with a flower nail in the middle. It is a 10" cake. Thanks in advance.

6 replies
PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:03am
post #2 of 7

I have had this happen before. After the cake comes out of the oven and the pan is cool enough to flip the cake out, I wrap mine in plastic wrap. The cake is still warm and the plastic sort of steams the cake. It keeps it really moist and the edges soften up. You can also use a flower nail in the center of your pan to bake the cake even, so the edges do not get overdone before the center is done.

Hope this helps.

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:07am
post #3 of 7

I don't have any advice on how to help the current cake, but I have learned that my edges are crispier when I use too much cake release. It's almost like it fries the outside of the cake if that makes sense.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:13am
post #4 of 7

We have the same problem. I always bake from scratch and I always keep getting the crusty edges. Well thats if I make yellow and pound cakes. In my experience, once I put the buttercream in it, you can't even see and feel the difference. I'm not sure if the buttercream moistens/softens it a bit.... but it doesn't feel hard in the mouth at all.

But everytime I make WASC, I never had a problem with the edges. They always come out perfect.

Try greasing your pan with equal parts of shortening, oil and flour. Mix it all together and it works great.

Ponygirl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ponygirl1 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:14am
post #5 of 7

Reduce the temp. to 300*...will take longer to bake, but hey...nice and moist!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:40am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenatea

I have had this happen before. After the cake comes out of the oven and the pan is cool enough to flip the cake out, I wrap mine in plastic wrap. The cake is still warm and the plastic sort of steams the cake. It keeps it really moist and the edges soften up. You can also use a flower nail in the center of your pan to bake the cake even, so the edges do not get overdone before the center is done.

Hope this helps.

I always do this and it helps

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:58am
post #7 of 7

I cover mine loosely with wax paper when I take them out of the pans. When they are almost cool I wrap in plastic wrap and pop them in the freezer until I'm ready for them. I thaw them still covered in the plastic wrap. They are always nice and moist.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%