Wilton Soccer Ball Pan

Decorating By Coverdalegirl Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 3:12pm by dharmasfriend

Coverdalegirl  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coverdalegirl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:55am
post #1 of 9

Is it possible to bake two cakes in this pan and then stick them together to make a round ball? Or would it be too heavy. Has anyone ever tried this and if so, what did you stick it together with?

8 replies
 samantha22c  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samantha22c Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:08am
post #2 of 9

I have not tried it before, but if you were to try I would use a pound cake and regular cake mixture so it is sturdy.

pattycakesnj  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:11am
post #3 of 9

i would assume it is the same as the 3d egg pan, bake 2 halves and stick them together with whatever filling you want. just don't place the layers side by side, they go on top of each other

panchanewjersey  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:20am
post #4 of 9

I've used it, it works great. You can fill ir or just make a plain round cake. I made a soccer ball. (wilton ball pan)

tripleD  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:24am
post #5 of 9

Yeah! I used it I made a huge Golf ball. Just level off and put butter cream in between and cover.

FeGe_Cakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #6 of 9

Maybe it's just me but my cake took FOREVER to bake. I went out and bought a heating core to do it the next time because I have an order coming up for another ball cake.

juleebug  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:37am
post #7 of 9

I have used the Betty Crocker Bake and Fill pan, which is 8 inches in diameter, to make a ball. It was a very heavy chocolate cake and kind of flattened out at the bottom. I think it would have held it's shape better if I had used a lighter cake. You can see it here:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1312681

ETA: I used buttercream between the layers and inserted 5 dowels to keep it together. (I had to deliver it 20 miles away over mountain roads.)

Coverdalegirl  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coverdalegirl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:37am
post #8 of 9

Thank you so much everyone! I have to do this today and I really appreciate your help!

dharmasfriend  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dharmasfriend Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 9

Can anyone tell me how many servings there are for the cake ball pan? I have a customer wanting to feed 20-25 and I need to know if I need to put a small cake under this one? TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%