Wilton Soccer Ball Pan

Decorating By Coverdalegirl Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 3:12pm by dharmasfriend

Coverdalegirl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:55am
post #1 of 9

Is it possible to bake two cakes in this pan and then stick them together to make a round ball? Or would it be too heavy. Has anyone ever tried this and if so, what did you stick it together with?

8 replies
samantha22c Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:08am
post #2 of 9

I have not tried it before, but if you were to try I would use a pound cake and regular cake mixture so it is sturdy.

pattycakesnj Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:11am
post #3 of 9

i would assume it is the same as the 3d egg pan, bake 2 halves and stick them together with whatever filling you want. just don't place the layers side by side, they go on top of each other

panchanewjersey Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:20am
post #4 of 9

I've used it, it works great. You can fill ir or just make a plain round cake. I made a soccer ball. (wilton ball pan)

tripleD Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:24am
post #5 of 9

Yeah! I used it I made a huge Golf ball. Just level off and put butter cream in between and cover.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #6 of 9

Maybe it's just me but my cake took FOREVER to bake. I went out and bought a heating core to do it the next time because I have an order coming up for another ball cake.

juleebug Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:37am
post #7 of 9

I have used the Betty Crocker Bake and Fill pan, which is 8 inches in diameter, to make a ball. It was a very heavy chocolate cake and kind of flattened out at the bottom. I think it would have held it's shape better if I had used a lighter cake. You can see it here:

ETA: I used buttercream between the layers and inserted 5 dowels to keep it together. (I had to deliver it 20 miles away over mountain roads.)

Coverdalegirl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:37am
post #8 of 9

Thank you so much everyone! I have to do this today and I really appreciate your help!

dharmasfriend Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 9

Can anyone tell me how many servings there are for the cake ball pan? I have a customer wanting to feed 20-25 and I need to know if I need to put a small cake under this one? TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%