3D Monkey Using Mini-Bear Pan?

Decorating By djs328 Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 1:01pm by djs328

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:30am
post #1 of 6

Has anyone tried this? Have a cake to do for this week with a monkey on it, and was considering using the mini-bear pan. I'd appreciate any input!! icon_smile.gif
TIA!
icon_smile.gif

5 replies
juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:33am
post #3 of 6

Ooh oooh! I did this!! Well, I used the regular 3-D bear pan and chopped the ears off to put them more on the sides so they were where monkey ears are.

http://www.cakegeek.com/images/monkey.jpg

Feel free to PM me if you want more info b/c I'm bad at checking back on posts.

djs328 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:11am
post #4 of 6

Awesome! Thanks juleebug & cake_geek! I will definitely post pics when I'm done this weekend. I really appreciate the help!

MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:28am
post #5 of 6

You can make all sorts of animals with the mini bear pan... I even used it upside down to make "Happy Bunny" of course I had to do a bit of carving....

For a monkey - I agree, you'd have to carve the ears off and add more monkeyish ears back on.
LL

djs328 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:01pm
post #6 of 6

OK, I did it! She was a chunky little monkey, but I think she came out ok! It was my first time playing with fondant (hands, feet, face, ears, belly, bows, bananas and tail) I think I liked the bananas better than the monkey! icon_smile.gif (Thanks cakegeek for the inspiration on this! icon_smile.gif I think a smaller grass tip would have worked better on the small bear, size-wise - I think that's why she's so chunky looking...(either that or she ate too much the cake she's sitting on! haha! icon_rolleyes.gif ) And I learned that I should not use fondant accents on whipped cream icing...too much moisture in the icing and she was sweating, hence the run off of dk brown on her belly, etc. - luckily it was ok, but any longer and she would have been a little mushy mess! Oh well! 'Hannah Banana' loved it! icon_smile.gif That's what counts!
Anyhow - THANK YOU so much for all the tips and ideas! I learn more and more on every cake and this was no exception! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Ok - tried attaching pic...too big for forums...here's the link to gallery pic.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1345072

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%