3D Monkey Using Mini-Bear Pan?

Decorating By djs328 Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 1:01pm by djs328

djs328 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:30am
post #1 of 6

Has anyone tried this? Have a cake to do for this week with a monkey on it, and was considering using the mini-bear pan. I'd appreciate any input!! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Cake_Geek Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:33am
post #3 of 6

Ooh oooh! I did this!! Well, I used the regular 3-D bear pan and chopped the ears off to put them more on the sides so they were where monkey ears are.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info b/c I'm bad at checking back on posts.

djs328 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:11am
post #4 of 6

Awesome! Thanks juleebug & cake_geek! I will definitely post pics when I'm done this weekend. I really appreciate the help!

MBoyd Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:28am
post #5 of 6

You can make all sorts of animals with the mini bear pan... I even used it upside down to make "Happy Bunny" of course I had to do a bit of carving....

For a monkey - I agree, you'd have to carve the ears off and add more monkeyish ears back on.

djs328 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:01pm
post #6 of 6

OK, I did it! She was a chunky little monkey, but I think she came out ok! It was my first time playing with fondant (hands, feet, face, ears, belly, bows, bananas and tail) I think I liked the bananas better than the monkey! icon_smile.gif (Thanks cakegeek for the inspiration on this! icon_smile.gif I think a smaller grass tip would have worked better on the small bear, size-wise - I think that's why she's so chunky looking...(either that or she ate too much the cake she's sitting on! haha! icon_rolleyes.gif ) And I learned that I should not use fondant accents on whipped cream icing...too much moisture in the icing and she was sweating, hence the run off of dk brown on her belly, etc. - luckily it was ok, but any longer and she would have been a little mushy mess! Oh well! 'Hannah Banana' loved it! icon_smile.gif That's what counts!
Anyhow - THANK YOU so much for all the tips and ideas! I learn more and more on every cake and this was no exception! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Ok - tried attaching pic...too big for forums...here's the link to gallery pic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%