Fondant Verses "some Sort Of" Buttercream ????

Decorating By Ponygirl1 Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 8:52am by solascakes

Ponygirl1 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:25am
post #1 of 8

Here I go again....but just have to ask..Why is it most decorators (Duff included).. go with fondant instead of "some sort of Buttercream" (your own recipe or whatever).....
I don't understand...to me, to be able to cut thru the cake and flowers (yes, I know there probably will be Royal in there too somewhere..flowers etc.) would have to be so much better...A Fab.cake, filling AND frosting...as opposed to a cake that's covered with a "firm or hard layer of stuff"..
I understand there is so much more you can do with fondant that you can't do with Buttercream,(time, travel etc.) but I guess I'm just saying...I'd like to see more of the awesome decorators doing the really "hard core" decorating..NO FONDANT..that means getting all the "ducks in a row" working out the consistencies of the frosting ie. , changing from icing to borders, flowers etc. etc.....This really limits a lot of projects, I understand....I guess what I'd like to see and learn more about is:
perfecting the PERFECT ICING....crumb coat, frosting, and decorating.. all in one! Beautiful to look at... delicious to the mouth.. Something everyone will say " It tastes as beautiful as it looks!".
JMO...... is there anyone else that feels this way, or am I'm just "livin' in the past".

icon_confused.gif

7 replies
classiccake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:21am
post #2 of 8

Here is my 2 cents worth!

Icing and fondant are two different ball games. There are techniques to doing both well. Some are better at one than another.

People who have "majored" in fondant don't have the skills of the buttercream. The decorators that started out in buttercream and then added fondant usually do both well.

As far as the tv decorators, fondant is much faster than buttercream when getting a smooth finish. We all know about the time crunch in competitions. Then when you are stacking and adding pieces in sculpture, you do much less damage if you bump another piece when assembling things. Fondant also gives a sturdier structure. The TV shows also have the battle with the heat of the lights.

If you want to do all those things in buttercream and have a very finished piece, you can, but it really takes more skill, patience, and time.
Part of the cake shops difficulty is convincing the public to like fondant.
The customers want the look, but not the fondant.

At our shop, we use mostly buttercream. But we can get our buttercream very smooth. We use fondant for parts of the decoration.

Attached is a photo of a cake that one of my employees did today. It is all buttercream, with just a tiny bit of fondant, and then gumpaste accents.
LL

Ponygirl1 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:58am
post #3 of 8

I so believe we're on the same page..I agree with everything you said about the differences between the two.. pros & cons.
My take is: If you master Buttercream perfectly, the rest is a "cake walk" !

Kitagrl Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:07am
post #4 of 8

I like how sturdy fondant is...and yes, its quicker and easier to make smooth.

I do alot of 3D work and while I know it can be done in buttercream, it travels better with fondant.

littlecake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:26am
post #5 of 8

wow classic cake...that cake ia amazing!

indydebi Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:41am
post #6 of 8

As a 30 year BC decorator, I agree with Classic .... they are two different things with different skills, and different functions.

I do think that if you master BC first, then fondant becomes a "piece of cake" to master. I fought the fondant thing for a long time, then these darn old CC'ers took me kicking and screaming into the fondant world ... and I had to come back here and confess it was fun and not near as hard as I thought it would be! icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

As far as having one icing, I've only used one icing for years. Since I started making cakes before the days of the internet and had no real easy way to share ideas, like we do on here, I really had no idea you might want to use different icings for different functions, so I just used the same icing for everything......icing, borders, drop flowers, roses, stringwork, etc.

BCJean Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:46am
post #7 of 8

classiccake...............

I am impressed!

solascakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:52am
post #8 of 8

I agree with classiccake,as a buttercream decorator i really hate the taste of fondant,but i always encourage my customers to order a fondant cake cos it's easier(esp in summer),but i still have some die hard bc fans that would order nothing else no matter the weather.The only reason i started doing fondant was cos a customer ordered it and was happy 4 me to practice with her cake as it was my first,it turned out nicer than i thought.
The robot caks is awesome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%