Questions For Wilton Instructors...

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 7:59pm by zubia

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there! I was thinking of applying to be a Wilton Instructor. I live in Ontario Canada. I've taken all the Wilton classes. Anyway, I'm just wondering how you like your job as an instructor, what store you work in, what the pay is like (min. wage?) etc.? Any info you could tell me that would help me with this decision would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 7

Sorry no one has been able to answer your ?s ;( I actually can't either. I was an instructor about 8 yrs ago and it probably have changed a lots since then.
So here's a bump that maybe others will see to help you out.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 7

Hi, I actually start teaching tonight at Michaels Craft Store, MA. From what I understand each store has a different pay scale. My suggestion would be to contact Wilton and let them know you are interestesd and they (the Supervisor for your area) will be able to provide you with the pay scale. Some stores; you are more of a contractor and you get paid directly from Wilton Enterprizes and others like to place you on their payroll as it may be easier for them. Michaels places me on their payroll. The thing that is common between the stores is that the more students you have enrolled the more money you make. So you will really want to market your classes to maximize your enrollment. Great discount at Wiltons too. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 7

Hi, I actually start teaching tonight at Michaels Craft Store, MA. From what I understand each store has a different pay scale. My suggestion would be to contact Wilton and let them know you are interestesd and they (the Supervisor for your area) will be able to provide you with the pay scale. Some stores; you are more of a contractor and you get paid directly from Wilton Enterprizes and others like to place you on their payroll as it may be easier for them. Michaels places me on their payroll. The thing that is common between the stores is that the more students you have enrolled the more money you make. So you will really want to market your classes to maximize your enrollment. Great discount at Wiltons too. Hope this helps. Good luck!

geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 7

The above person is right. Each account (michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc.... ) has their own payscale that they will use. For example at Hobby Lobby where I teach the payscale is as follows.
4-5 students    $120.00
6 students    $135.00
7 students    $150.00
8 students    $180.00
9 students    $210.00      
10 -13 students    $215.00
14 students    $220.00
15 students    $225.00
Just to give you an idea. I know that michaels stores pay you for doing demos, hobby lobby doesnt. So each are different. You'll need to contact a marketing supervisor and talk with them about individual accounts/stores to see what you're looking at.

As for how I like working as a Wilton Method Instructor, I really do like it. I bring in extra money each month, I set my own hours and of course the best part, I LOVE what I do. It's a perfect match for me since I love to decorate cakes. You're probably not going to get rich from doing it, but you'll have fun and earn some extra money. Good luck with everything and have fun. I hope this all helped answer your questions. If not, PM me and I'll try and give you more infornation.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 7

Just an FYI - that pay scale is per 4 week course NOT per class.

I am an instructor, and I love my job. No, not getting rich, but it gets me out of the house a couple times a week, and it gives us extra spending money. I have met some lifelong friends doing this.

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 7

hi ,I love this job.I just started 2 months ago.It is so much fun.If you wnat a paying job ,this might not be an ideal one.But as a hobby it is a great out let for my cake obbssion.And I get extra money to buy all the cool cake stuff.
But if you look at it abjectively they pay for only 2 hours .
Michaels pay scale for canada is

WILTON 4-SESSION COURSES
Courses 1, 2, 3 and Fondant & Gum Paste

1-2 students $104.00 $26.00 per class
3 students $110.00 $27.50 per class
Classes with 3 or less students must be approved by the
store manager.
4-6 students $194.00 $48.50 per class
7-9 students $234.00 $58.50 per class
10 students $250.00 $62.50 per class
11 students $266.00 $66.50 per class
12 students $282.00 $70.50 per class