Need Help With A Panoramic Easter Egg Cake

Decorating By Fiwi Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm by bobwonderbuns

Fiwi Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the forum today and am an amateur as well. I hope you can help me.

I'd like to make a cake that resembles a panoramic sugar Easter egg. I have Wilton's egg pan. My plan was to bake the 2 cake halves, then cut a hole in one half before placing the 2 pieces together. Do you think it is possible to set the cake on it's side or bottom end without it falling apart?

8 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 9

Hi Fiwi!! Welcome to CC (better known as your new addiction!!) icon_biggrin.gif

As for your question, I'm thinking it may fall apart -- how on earth would you support it? The Wilton Egg pan is primarily designed for the egg to be on it's side, not upright so to assemble it the way you are thinking I'm not sure it would be stable. Maybe some of the others have ideas on this. Good luck and be sure to post a pix when it's done! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 9

I have made 1000s of *sugar* eggs but have never tried making one out of cake icon_smile.gif

pattycakesnj Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 9

try cutting the hole from both pieces because I agree with the others, it will not stay together on its side. Put it together and place it down, 1 layer on top of the other and then carve your opening from the side, cutting evenly into both halves. Hope this makes sense and good luck

Fiwi Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:41am
post #5 of 9

Thanks for all the quick replies! Patty, your suggestion makes perfect sense. Why didn't I think of that?! icon_razz.gif

The cake is for my daughter's kindergarten fundraiser bake sale -- due Thursday, so check back then for pictures! thumbs_up.gif

pattycakesnj Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:44am
post #6 of 9

you are welcome and good luck, I can't wait to see it

Fiwi Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 9

Well, it didn't turn out too bad considering I had to do the decorating with a 5 and 3 year old under foot. I actually ended up making 2 just in case something happened to one. Here's one of them:

It really needs some decoration on the top, but I ran out of icing. Oh well.

pattycakesnj Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 9

it is adorable

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #9 of 9

Very pretty!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%