Getting Level Cakes

Decorating By ramzeesgirl Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 1:40am by Ponygirl1

ramzeesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramzeesgirl Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 10

HELLO ALL.....I AM IN DESPERATE, DESPERATE NEED OF SOME ADVICE! I HAVE BEEN DOING CAKES FOR ABOUT 6 MTHS NOW AND CANNOT GET A LEVEL CAKE. I HAVE USED THE WILTON BAKING STRIPS, LOWERED THE TEMPERATURE SLIGHTLY IN THE BEGINNING...AND NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK. IAHVE ANN UPCOMING WEDDING TO DO THIS MONTH AND DONT WANT TO WASTE CAKE BY LEVELING IT. THANK SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP...HAPPY BAKING!!!

9 replies
joknee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joknee Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 10

Me, too!!!! I have more scraps than cake sometimes!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 10

Press down the tops with a towel immediately after out of the oven...use flower nails....bake at lower temp. Inevitably, at times, I still have to level. Sometimes, I don't care if it's a littleoff, because I'm going to get the top razor edge straight and flat with the icing anyways.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 10

When your cake is out of the oven put a towel on it and press gently it will level it if it is not over baked it will be nice and flat on top.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 10

It could be your oven, maybe it is not sitting level on the floor or maybe your oven racks warped. Check both with a level, it may not be you

__Jamie__ Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesncookies

It could be your oven, maybe it is not sitting level on the floor or maybe your oven racks warped. Check both with a level, it may not be you

Ohhhh, my stupid oven was that way too!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 10

I don't know what else to say,i would have said baking strips,i use old kitchen towels though,checking oven temp etc,i hope you get some help soon.

__Jamie__ Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 10

I can't imagine what more help anyone could offer. Sometimes....you have to level, and that's all there is to it. I rarely ever do, butsometimes!

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:26pm
post #9 of 10

Mine never come out level either. My oven is not level and my husband says that because of the type it is (a drop in oven?) it cannot be leveled. So I just have to level mine with a knife. Just think "cake balls".

Ponygirl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ponygirl1 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:40am
post #10 of 10

Put a level on your rack first, and if your oven is truly "not level", try using strips of foil folded (over & over again etc.) and put under the rack on the "knobs" of the oven sides...(holds the rack) does that make any sense?????...
If it's not that, try lowering your oven temp to 300* to bake your cakes.....300* is the only way I bake my cakes...no hard, dried out corners...always moist and tender, but may take longer to bake because of the lowered temp.. To me..the 300* is the way to go.
Good luck friend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%