Flying With Supplies?

Decorating By KonfectionKonnection Updated 29 Apr 2009 , 4:09am by xstitcher

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 12

Does anyone happen to know if our supplies (like tips in particular) are acceptable as carry-on? I'll be flying out to my sister's later this month, and promised to make my BIL's birthday cake while there. (Any ideas on boating/water themed cakes would also be appreciated.) icon_rolleyes.gif

The last time I flew, checking a bag was an extra $15 there, and $15 back icon_confused.gif , so I would like to just get by w/ carry-on. However, I thought I read on here (somewhere) that tips were not allowed as carry-on, but had to be checked?

Has anyone flown w/ their supplies lately or have any idea? icon_eek.gif
TIA!

11 replies
gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:34am
post #2 of 12

Hmmm, no idea, but this will BUMP you up a bit!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:42am
post #3 of 12

No idea about the carry on, maybe you could call the airline and check with them?

As for the boating/water theme what exactly does he like. Fishing, water skiing, sailing....?

I just typed in boat in the search field in the galleries and 13 pages came back but wasn't sure exactly what you had in mind.

Edited to add:

Would it be easier for you to mail the stuff there before you go?

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 6:59am
post #4 of 12

If you can't put them in regular luggage, ship them UPS, have her save the box, and ship them back to you later. That's what I did for my cousins wedding in CA. Shipped half my kitchen for about 10 bucks.

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:02am
post #5 of 12

sorry the last time that I flew, I checked all of my supplies. It took them a while to figure out if they were going to let it on the plane.

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 7:04am
post #6 of 12

I just flew from Austin, TX to Phoenix, TX (March 10-17) with my entire tool box as carry on. I had my spatulas, colors, tips, scissors, rose nail, glycerin, shortning (small container in my tool box), everything I have in my normal tool kit I took on carry on. I also had my small leveler, pans, floral wire and tape, petal dusts. My only suggestion would be, and no one said anything to me when i traveled, is that if it's liquid or gel it might need to go in a separate quart size ziploc.

When i flew last year I put my tool box in my checked luggage and my colors flipped out of the tool box tray and black leaked all over everything inside. So this time I was determined to carry it all and keep it upright. They did't make me put the liquid/gels into a separate bag but it probably depends on who is doing the bag check.

I hope that helps and wish you the best of luck.

KonfectionKonnection Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 2:25am
post #7 of 12

Thank you everyone so much for your answers! (I just now got a chance to check back, but haven't been receiving my notices.) icon_redface.gif

I hadn't thought of mailing a few things out first--that sounds like a good idea. I would like to take them as carry on, but w/ my luck I would probably get the one inspector who would throw me out! icon_razz.gif You at least have all given me some ideas.

As far as his interest, he has a boat, but I think they just use it for puttering around at the lake. I don't think he is particularly interested in fishing. My other option that my sister suggested was a beach theme. I would like to come up w/ something good, as usually they only get pictures--and this time I'll actually be able to make them a cake to enjoy in person (so a little pressure to do well).

Thanks again for all of your responses!

xstitcher Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:24am
post #8 of 12

There are so many great cakes on here that are boat or beach theme related and I wasn't sure what kind of style you were looking for so I just picked a few to hopefully get you started.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=404383

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1117643

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=702823

The bears on this one make it look more like for a kid but if you took those out I think it would be quite nice:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1187930

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=708503

Something simple:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1239588

KonfectionKonnection Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 12

xstitcher--Thank you for the suggestions! Those all are great ideas! I haven't carved much (nor have I seen the boat), so I will probably steer away from that--but several of the others would work. It's funny--I remember thinking about the one w/ bears, because I liked the little bucket w/ the beginnings of a sandcastle behind it. (Like you, though, I would probably have to leave them off--he'll be 46 on his birthday--although he is an animal lover.) icon_rolleyes.gif

The people on this site always impress me--You all are so nice and so very helpful! thumbs_up.gif

xstitcher Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:34pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonfectionKonnection

xstitcher--Thank you for the suggestions! Those all are great ideas! I haven't carved much (nor have I seen the boat), so I will probably steer away from that--but several of the others would work. It's funny--I remember thinking about the one w/ bears, because I liked the little bucket w/ the beginnings of a sandcastle behind it. (Like you, though, I would probably have to leave them off--he'll be 46 on his birthday--although he is an animal lover.) icon_rolleyes.gif

The people on this site always impress me--You all are so nice and so very helpful! thumbs_up.gif

Anytime KonfectionKonnection! I too think the little bucket knocked over looked really cute. I also like all the life preservers around the tiers (I wonder if life savers would work? icon_lol.gif ) Good luck with the cake and please post the pic when your done!

KonfectionKonnection Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 7:05pm
post #11 of 12

Well, I made it back from my trip. Although I was pretty nervous, I think it turned out OK. My BIL was pleased, which is what is important. I took only the bare minimum of supplies as carry-on. The only trouble was that one of my extracts leaked in the baggie w/ my colors--so I had blue hands for a day or two after cleaning up the mess, but at least nothing was damaged. (The warning about this definitely came in handy!)

I went thru several design ideas (wanting to do some of the decorations in advance, some there), and came up w/ the following:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1355519

Thanks again for all of the input and support. You guys are great! thumbs_up.gif

xstitcher Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:09am
post #12 of 12

The cake looks great! I can see why your BIL was pleased! thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%