Sugar Cookie Recipes - Help!!

Baking By izzy1953 Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 1:16am by HeidiCrumbs

izzy1953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzy1953 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 13

ok..........just wondering if i'm gonna be kicked out of here if i admit, that i don't like that NFSC recipe! i have made it twice and both times it seemed really dry, then when you put the RI on it sucks the rest of the moisture out......................does anyone else have this problem or is it just something i'm not doing right? i have a really good recipe from allrecipes called best ever rolled sugar cookie, that i actually prefer. sorry! don't throw me out............i love you guys!!!! here is a picture of my lamb, but he is not very tasty! ok no picture.............it was too big and i have no idea how to make it smaller, but he is adorable. i did upload him to the cookie gallery though.

12 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 13

Image Grrrrrr, I hate you...

There - got it out of the way, feel better? LOL

Many don't like the NFSC recipe, so I guess we won't kick you out just yet. My old folks like them, but the kids don't. They prefer cake mix cookies, as they are softer.

Bigbearswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bigbearswife Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:46am
post #3 of 13

I had the same problem when i first started using this recipe.
I think the trick is making them thicker.... because my first tries came out a little brown and hard.

But now I've fixed it and the cookies come out very soft

I do add a little more butter then the recipe calls for.. and 4 tablespoons of melted butter after the dry ingredients. I make the dough at night and take it out of the mixing bowl and wrap it in saran wrap and freeze it over night.

Also I cut my cookies kinda on the thick side. Also when I bake them, I bake at 350 for 10 minutes but not long enough for them to get brown at all.

They look the same coming out in color as they did going in, just firm with a little bounce back to the touch... then I immediately transfer the cookies to a wire wrack,and let them cool

They stay super soft.
My niece and god-daughters love them.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:00am
post #4 of 13

I cut them thick too and everyone loves them. (The other day, this big burly, guy was delivering a stone table top to me so I gave him some cookies I had just decorated for Easter for all the sweat involved. 10 minutes later, my phone rang, it was the delivery guy and he said they were the best cookies he ever had) I add lots of extra almond emulsion to both the cookie dough and RI.

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:37am
post #5 of 13

I don't like it either. I use the Best Rolled Sugar Cookie from allrecipes.com but add more extracts.

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:46am
post #6 of 13

Do the cookies spread using this recipe?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiCrumbs

I don't like it either. I use the Best Rolled Sugar Cookie from allrecipes.com but add more extracts.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:02am
post #7 of 13

I tried many recipes before using NFSC and am a convert now, the first couple of batches were dry and crumbly. I think the key is to really cream the butter and sugar well. Then add the other ingreds as directed. Then I add the flour a bit at a time and mix until well incorporated. The last cup is hard on my mixer, I have a 5qt Kitchen Aid, but just keep going. When I first made the recipe, I dumped all the flour in at once and it was really hard to get it mixed well. This recipe holds its shape and is delicious thick or thin. I add a combination of butter, almond and vanilla extracts.

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:34am
post #8 of 13

I am sorry to hear that you haven't had any luck with NFSC... these are my biggest hits when I do cookies. I make them on the thick side but them pull them out before they get brown they are still soft to touch. If I cook them too long I freeze them and that softens them right back up. As far as flavoring them, I have used the boquet one, just vanilla or just almond, and lemon. They don't swell on me at all. I roll the dough as soon as its made then put it in the fridge I find if I can leave it in there longer than an hour that does them well. i use Antonia74's icing and add vanilla flavoring to it. I hope this helps you... Good luck.

Kim

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:53am
post #9 of 13

I LOVE NFSC recipe. Sugar cookies have always been my favorite, I have tried hundreds, literally, of recipes....this one is my favorite. As others have said cut them thicker and don't brown them. For taste I prefer to use a buttercream frosting on them....YUM!!! For decorating antonia74's taste great and looks amazing and stacks very well. Both types of frosting help keep the cookies soft also. Keep playing with the recipe hopefully you'll figure out what works for you thumbs_up.gif

JoJo4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo4 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 12:57pm
post #10 of 13

This easter is my first attempt at decorating cookies. I have made regular cookies a lot (especially at christmas time) but nothing decorated. I bought a very cool cookie pan which has easter shapes. You press the dough into the shapes and bake, then decorate. It was a good way to get 12 different shapes without buying all those cookie cutters. Okay so my questions are: what is NFSC and could it be used to press into the shaped cookie tin? Also, I'm trying to find a good recipe to decorate. One poster said antonia74's icing dried too hard. And do you use your frosting tint to tint cookie icing? Or is there special icing for cookies?? Thanks.

JoJo4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo4 Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:01pm
post #11 of 13

Also, in order to let the icing dry do you leave the cookies out or do you cover them loosely with plastic wrap to keep them fresh? I don't want them to go stale after I have spent all that time decorating, but I can't stack and store until the icing is dry. Sorry for all the questions.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 1:13pm
post #12 of 13

NFSC is no fail sugar cookie which you can find in the recipe area (sorry I don't know how to link) anyway, yes you can press them into a cookie mold pan. I frost with royal icing and leave out to dry, uncovered for 8 hours. They don't get stale that quick, especially with RI and the RI can be colored with any of your color pastes.

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:16am
post #13 of 13

Sorry I didn't see your other question until now.

The recipe from allrecipes.com does not spread at all. In my pictures you can see it, I think all of the cookies are that recipe. The only time I get wierd edges is when I hand cut them but that's not the dough's fault, it's mine. It only calls for 1 tsp of vanilla (I think) but I put in 2 tsp of vanilla and 1 tsp of almond otherwise they're really bland. They taste amazing with the extra extract. I don't have a rolling pin that measures the thickness of the dough but I do it kind of thick. I'm guessing a bit more than 1/4 of an inch.

After I frost my cookies, usually with RI, I let them sit out overnight and then the next day I put them inbetween layers of wax paper in a plastic Tupperware dish, unless I'm putting them in individual plastic bags or plating them up or something like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%