Anyone From Western Ma/ Central Ma?

Decorating By Mom23girls Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 4:19pm by chelleb1974

Mom23girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom23girls Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 18

I am new to cake decorating and have not been able to find any suppliers other than Michael's or WalMart. Wondering if there is anyone else from the area here on CC and if they could make any suggestions? I only decorate cakes for friends and family, but am really enjoying it and there are so many techniques I see here that I want to try.... Thanks!

17 replies
karentolb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karentolb Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 18

I am from Southeastern Mass and have the same dilemma. JoAnn's Fabrics has a small selection of Wilton items, too. I have had to resort to ordering specialty items online...that is, anything other than basic Wilton supplies. That's OK (other than paying shipping), but you have to really plan ahead because you can't just run out and grab something you need. I'd love for someone to share a great supplier in this area.

jolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolly Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 18

hi my name is dennis im from lynn ma there is a place thats like the home depot of cakes in hookset nh 114 londondery turnpipe open mon-sat 930-530 thurs until 730 phone 603 627 1808 well worth the one hour drive, peace, fell free to pm me anytime

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:57am
post #4 of 18

I'm in Springfield and would love to have a cake supply store other than Michael's, AC Moore or Joann's. Although it is probably a good thing for my wallet that we don't have anything better - I'd have to go live in the poor house!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:16am
post #5 of 18

Hi - I'm not from MA, but used to live in NW CT...I know there are some places (near Waterbury, I believe?) although I can't remember the names anymore...Cakeworks, maybe? But it might be the kind of thing where you just take a 1/2 day and go "play" and stock up...Might be worth a little drive! Not sure where in MA you are, though...I get a lot of my stuff from an awesome store about 50 min from my house and just make the trip every once in a while. It's like a fun field trip for me!
Probably doesn't help much, but was feeling a little nostalgic from my days living in New England! : )
Good luck!! icon_smile.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:54am
post #6 of 18

www.confectioneryhouse.com

Is in Troy NY, not too far from the VT/Mass border. Probably about 1-2 hour drive from Springfield.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 18

There is also a bakery supply place in Lincoln, RI that has a cake supply showroom and carry bulk ingredients....it's where I buy my fondant.(satin ice)

Mom23girls Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 18

Thanks for the replies! Road trip anyone?, lol! It's too bad there isn't anything closer, but your right Vonnie - it would probably put me in the poor house icon_lol.gif

What about decorating classes? Anyone know of anything other than Wiltons at Michaels?

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:58pm
post #9 of 18

The ICES group in the Worchester area is sponsering some big name instructors this year...I think the classes were posted int eh EVENTS forum here on CC. I'm not a ICES member so I'm not sure of the particulars but I was hoping to go to the Elisa Strauss classes. I think they also had some with Bronwen Weber, Debbie Brown and Maisie Parrish....

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:58pm
post #10 of 18

the culinary institute in cambridge does cake/pastry workshops
If your going to the one in NH you can pick me up on the way........ icon_biggrin.gif

Mom23girls Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:43pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnie99

The ICES group in the Worchester area is sponsering some big name instructors this year...I think the classes were posted int eh EVENTS forum here on CC. I'm not a ICES member so I'm not sure of the particulars but I was hoping to go to the Elisa Strauss classes. I think they also had some with Bronwen Weber, Debbie Brown and Maisie Parrish....

Very cool - thanks!! I think I may have to talk to hubby about this icon_smile.gif

Mom23girls Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:45pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

the culinary institute in cambridge does cake/pastry workshops
If your going to the one in NH you can pick me up on the way........ icon_biggrin.gif

I am thinking there is a road trip to NH in my future! talking the hubby into it shouldn't be too difficult - it's the money being spent once we get there that will be the issue! lol

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:52pm
post #13 of 18

mamacc what is the store in Lincoln RI called? I would love to go check it out!!!! I just moved back to RI icon_smile.gif

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:13pm
post #14 of 18

hi dennis!
i live in newburyport and am really excited about the possibility of a home depot for cakes, lol. do you recall the name of that store? i feel a road trip coming on!
diane

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:17pm
post #15 of 18

I hear ya, the only one I know around my area is Lorraines. She also does some classes. Not too often though. I am waiting for her sugar and gum past flower classes. However, like someone mentioned above Cambridge Culinary has quite a few recreational classes. I was going to start taking some this spring. The cost seems reasonable, too. Lorraines is in Hanover Ma, off of 53.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:24pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnie99

Just to clarify , there is one ICES group in Massachusetts, the Massachusetts Chapter of ICES. We do not sponsor those classes. If you are interested in ICES, there are some links in my signature. icon_smile.gif Those classes are sponsored and organized by another local cake decorating group in the Worcester area which is not affiliated with ICES.

There is a store in Shrewbury....Evie's I believe, that has 'cake toys'. I could be wrong on the name, since I've never been there and only heard about it.

There are two other stores I know of, but unfortunately, neither are near Springfield. There is Lorraine's (which a PP mentioned) in Hanover Mass, and Party Cake in Taunton Mass.

~Michelle

Mom23girls Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:16pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks Michelle - I knew nothing about ICES, so that was eye opening! It may be something I'll be looking into icon_smile.gif Thanks!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:19pm
post #18 of 18

You're welcome Mom23girls!

We have meeting 4 times a year. The last Sunday in Jan, March, June and September. We usuallly have classes on Saturday and in the morning on Sunday, and the meeting/demos are Sunday afternoon.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I'm the treasurer of the Mass chapter!

~Michelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%