Sugarshack's Buttercream Recipe??? Or Another Recipe?

Decorating By kmdrysdale Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 8:01pm by Caralinc

kmdrysdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmdrysdale Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 7

I have heard that the SugarShack's buttercream recipe is really good to work with and i would love to try it, However the problem is that i do not yet have a mixer(i know i know i need one just a big investment right at the start) So how can i make it with out a Kitchen aid? Can i just use my hand mixer? I am not doing really big cakes either so i really think that recipe would be lots lol I am looking for a good butter cream to practice and get better at icing a cake. So am i out of luck with out a mixer?

6 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 7

im not sure what the process is for that recipe, but for my bc (just creaming butter and ps basically) i manage with a spoon. takes more effort, but not too bad!
xx

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 7

No, not out of luck but it is a LOT easier if you have one.

QVC offers 5 easy payments on their KA's (you get the mixer and they divide the payments up in 5 installments, no interest charged) It's a great investment and in my opinion should be the first thing you buy. (besides pans)

I've never tried her recipe, you could try to PM her and see if the recipe can be halved.

I use Serous_Cakes recipe found here in the recipe section. It's delicious and smooth as silk. I sub hi-ratio for the crisco it calls for.

Ooocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ooocakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 7

If you're not ready to invest in a KA and you aren't doing a high amount of decorating all the time I would suggest getting just the basic 40.00 one at Wal-Mart. I have a Sunbeam that was about 40.00 and it works for the amount of decorating I do... although I would love to get a KA and hope to get one soon but for now it works and I don't have to hold a hand mixer and try and add all the ingredients at the same time.
If you do get one of these don't try and make more than one batch of icing because it can't handle more than that.

Good luck!

I have made Indy-debi's icing and the wilton recipe so far and have had no problems.

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 7

Her recipe makes a big batch so that you don't have any space in the bowl to avoid air bubbles. However I think you could half the recipe and try it. It's important to let it mix completely and that might be too hard on mixer if it's just a small one, and you arm might get a little tired! It really is a good recipe and I have had a lot of success with it, but I do have a a KA mixer now. You can also send SugarShack and message and ask her for advice, I am sure she would be happy to help you out!

Welcome and Happy Baking! Sandi

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 7

You can make the one cup of crisco/1 box powdered sugar batch, but remember....she teaches that less AIR makes a much nicer icing. You'll be beating a lot of air into the smaller batches through no fault of your own. But it is a very nice icing even with some extra air bubbles!

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 7

I would suggest sending Sugarshack an e-mail and see if she can help you downsize the measurements. She does teach that less air makes for a smoother icing. Also she mentions the size of the bowl you use depends on the measurements. If you do use the handmixer use a smaller bowl so the icing will fluff up over the mixers. I also recommend only doing one batch with a handmixer as I broke mine with doing too many double batches. I finally broke down and bought a stand up - love it!!

I just tried this icing a few days ago and absolutedly love it. I could not believe how smooth it was and it is so creamy to the taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%